advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

huL1Zbv.png

Mozart Piano Concerto No.14, Christian Zacharias/Polish Chamber Orchestra. A joy of a concerto with a very expressive andante. This was the first of 6 piano concertos written by Mozart in 1784 (14-19), all of them very different from on another.

91PdM5ZZs5L._SS425_.jpg

Saskia Giorgini playing Liszt. The first thing one notices is the sound quality, which only the Robert Plano set surpasses. The second thing one notices is that Ms Giorgini focuses quite a bit on beauty. Scale and heft don't match up with some, and one misses the depths of Michel Block in Bénédiction de Dieu dans la solitude - though that's the case with every other pianist, too. But man, she ends strong, with gorgeous and captivating renditions of La lampe du temple and Cantique d’amour. I'll probably have to hear her Enescu.

Beethoven piano sonatas by Friedrich Gulda (Amadeo/Brilliant Classics boxset). Opus 14 at the moment.

71Pbygrt8lL._AC_SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VVZUXRS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Act 2 of The Valkyrie. Stonking stuff. Christa Ludwig excellent as Fricka - her scene berating her husband Wotan for his ill-wrought plans (and encouragement of incest ho-hum) could be a bit ridiculous, but she brings it off without nagging (I've seen it played that way in some productions). Solti's mastery of the music keeps the drama going through Wotan's long monologue.... I also have Karajan's Berlin Phil recording of the same and its just dull by comparison.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra: Mozart Symphonies

From a massive 55 CD box set. Excellent performances on everything I've listened to thus far; their recordings of Haydn's symphonies are amongst the best I've heard.

When I first discovered this Italian contemporary of Haydn a few years ago I was really taken aback at how enjoyable his music is.His piano concertos are a delight..likewise his orchestral music,although it was his operas which propelled him to fame during his lifetime.
This is an outstanding cd ...both recording and performance.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B002IVRBAQ/?tag=pinkfishmed08-21

713MQ8W77-L._SX522_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back