advertisement

Pickles & condiments - suggestions/recommendations

Spanish pickled garlic cloves, eat like sweets.
Lime pickle and chilli jam, kosher dill pickles, and most of all English mustard.
Veggie so diff priorities/pallet possibly.

Spanish pickled garlic cloves, eat like sweets.
Lime pickle and chilli jam, kosher dill pickles, and most of all English mustard.
Veggie so diff priorities/pallet possibly.
Different pallet? What, you mean you've gone Euro size, or have you stayed with 1000x1200 and gone to plastic over wood?

It takes a few weeks to ripen them all, you stick them in a cool room and have a look every few days, and remove the red ones. They go faster if closed in and left with riper ones, of course, because ethene levels are higher.

different strokes for different folks. only bother ripening a few your way, we love pickle.

I have a really interesting Korma style recipe with white poppy seeds from when I worked in India

Is that shareable with the pfm massive?.... love a good Korma myself ! But I have not ventured into making one of my own.

My local curry house does a 'Muglai Korma' which is a Chicken Korma with big chunks of Fennel added and some green chillies too, so a Korma with a bit of a kick. I do not eat the chillies themselves but the kick they add to the sauce is rather special.

Didn't get any walnuts this year as the squirrels got in early, apparently due to a lack of acorns.

We do mango chutney when they're on offer which is gorgeous. Pickled onions red or brown, usually heavy on the chillies in there, i think i've eaten one jar of this year's crop already.

Chilli jam is the perfect accompaniment to almost everything, only works if you can get some decent hot chillies and we put a couple of red peppers in to intensify the colour. Planning a slightly softer Bahian Sauce based version next year.

Marmalade is our condiment of choice for sausages or bacon, home made is hard to beat.

advertisement

Back