advertisement

Pickles & condiments - suggestions/recommendations

we've had that - nice but not that hot
I am pleased you liked it, as for its hotness, I thought it was pretty hot. Ivo does make varying types of hot sauce and some are very hot. Our family liking for very hot and spicy food must have skipped my generation and ended up with my son. My Father was a spice demon, the hotter the better, whereas I tend to go for a Korma when given the choice.

fermented garlic is interesting, a past neighbour of mine used to make it. Apparently place fresh (wet) garlic in a sterile jar with some salt and dried chilli and leave for a few months until the garlic goes black

Black garlic is now a hipster thing. We got given some and I am stumped as to what to do with it. Suggestions gratefully welcome.

As to pickles and condiments, I like plum chutney and pickled walnuts and those vats of pickled squid and octopus (if anyone know where I can get some, let me know), but I am mostly a Mr Naga man.

mr-naga-4x-jars-special-offer-save-4-now.jpg

my partner always makes courjette cpiced chutney and a green tomato one, most useful with our disobedient summer seasons. if we have surplus veg for immediate use, we just pickle it.
we love a pickle, and being in one

we love that. Our neighbours who are incompetent at growing tomatoes always week up supplied with green tomatoes. Makes a great curry
Anyone who grows tomatoes in the UK, certainly further north, ends up with loads of green ones. It's because the weather gets cold before the last ones have chance to ripen. Bring them indoors and drawer ripen them or just cook them as you have.

Unusual to see so many liking pickled green onions and cauliflower, both very underated.

I'd like to suggest pickled turnips. Again surprisingly delicious. I'm referring to the middle Eastern style- cut into strips and bright pink in colour from the piece of beetroot that is put into the same jar as the turnip.

Looks like this:https://dinnerthendessert.com/pickled-turnips/

Anyone who grows tomatoes in the UK, certainly further north, ends up with loads of green ones. It's because the weather gets cold before the last ones have chance to ripen. Bring them indoors and drawer ripen them or just cook them as you have.

that is one option, we prefer the green tomato chutney. will look for other recipes for using them. if we were to ripen the surplus we would not be able to eat them all as this usually happens late in the year.

Sounds interesting. Could you please supply details of the seller and the recipe? Many thanks
I got the nuts from Potash Farm in Kent. There is a recipe on their website.
Unfortunately the green walnuts are only available in July, so it'll be Christmas 2022 when you eat them.

I never end up with green toms TBH; they always ripen well, but then again I always grow a few different varieties and I'm sure they help each other on

My missus has been making home made sauerkraut of late. Made with red cabbage, caraway seeds and sometimes cardamom. It's bloody good stuff. Smells a bit "farty" while it being made and fermenting but results are top notch. A lovely crunch and goes brilliantly with cooked meats.

As a bonus it seems that the wonderful nutritional benefits of fermented foods for our "gut biome" are only now becoming better understood in the mainstream.

I remember reading that the German navy was able to stay at sea longer than the Brit's because they carried sauerkraut on board which staved off scurvy. It provided vitamin C which was otherwise largely missing from ship's rations after several weeks at sea. Dunno if that's true or not.

Edit: I don't really understand if "pickling" = fermented ingredients or not? Some pickling just seems to be veg or whatever in vinegar.

that is one option, we prefer the green tomato chutney. will look for other recipes for using them. if we were to ripen the surplus we would not be able to eat them all as this usually happens late in the year.
It takes a few weeks to ripen them all, you stick them in a cool room and have a look every few days, and remove the red ones. They go faster if closed in and left with riper ones, of course, because ethene levels are higher.

My missus has been making home made sauerkraut of late. Made with red cabbage, caraway seeds and sometimes cardamom. It's bloody good stuff. Smells a bit "farty" while it being made and fermenting but results are top notch. A lovely crunch and goes brilliantly with cooked meats.

As a bonus it seems that the wonderful nutritional benefits of fermented foods for our "gut biome" are only now becoming better understood in the mainstream.

I remember reading that the German navy was able to stay at sea longer than the Brit's because they carried sauerkraut on board which staved off scurvy. It provided vitamin C which was otherwise largely missing from ship's rations after several weeks at sea. Dunno if that's true or not.

Edit: I don't really understand if "pickling" = fermented ingredients or not? Some pickling just seems to be veg or whatever in vinegar.
The British navy solved the problem with limes, usually salted. Hence "limeys" . Pickling doesn't typically involve fermentation. It's just the use of acid, sugar, salt to preserve food. If you ferment it too, then you can still pickle it. Some fermentation processes naturally produce acid, sauerkraut being the classic. That's why they name it as they do.

advertisement

Back