advertisement

Pickles & condiments - suggestions/recommendations

hifilover1979

Bigger than you...
As above

We both love them and I always do a Goose and ham at Christmas (as well as the barrage of cheeses we all have)

So looking for suggestions to go with them

Anything from pickled fruits to pickled sprouts ;) to other interesting stuff... Condiments/preserves/chutneys welcomed too :D

Big fan of the Tracklements Fig Relish here, but mainly with cheese. For meats, esp. ham or pork pie, I prefer Piccalilli, but we get that from a friend of Mrs P-T who makes her own.

Pickled walnuts are great with cold meats and Stilton cheese. They're not easy to find though, and the most common commercial brand is rather bland. I buy green walnuts from a supplier in Kent and pickle them myself.

I am addicted to these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BSVSIOA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

51Q-7tOlvqL._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
citric acid, water dill and flavourings

we regularly pickle our own veg - can't give you recipe as it's done by taste and eye, as taught to me by my mum, and her by my grandmother

pickled eggs are amazing

amongst the veg we pickle include shallots, red onion, cucumber (ridge is best), spring onion, green beans runner's, carrots Cauliflower.

we normally do a short pickling. 1 or two days

longer requires more sterile conditions

Pickled walnuts are great with cold meats and Stilton cheese. They're not easy to find though, and the most common commercial brand is rather bland. I buy green walnuts from a supplier in Kent and pickle them myself.

Sounds interesting. Could you please supply details of the seller and the recipe? Many thanks

Brill; cheers folks...

Not doing my own pickles; haven't time unfortunately and UI've not enough veg left in the garden. The cabbages, cauli's and sprouts are all but done (bar the specific ones I've left for Christmas week)

And I LOVE pickled Cauliflower; so will be ordering a lot of that in, oh, and pickled chillies :D

steep some pickled silver skin onions in 50;50 mix of the pickling juice and Campari for about 2 weeks. Makes a lovely garnish for a Gibson or great with cheese.

Any leftover pickling juice from pickling makes a great pickleback - we normally strain and bottle the pickling liquid- keeps for about 2,weeks in the fridge

if you don't like bourbon try a Donkey Dick

fermented garlic is interesting, a past neighbour of mine used to make it. Apparently place fresh (wet) garlic in a sterile jar with some salt and dried chilli and leave for a few months until the garlic goes black

advertisement

Back