advertisement

Yes, I was an avid viewer of his channel during the last winter lock down here in Ireland. Interesting chap who I appear to have a lot in common with, including a lot of music and steel bikes with cup and cone hubs ;-). Most videos are music related and not so much HiFi, although his hifi is lovely and it is covered in a few videos. Probably one of the better HiFi / music related channels for sure.

I would love to try his speakers, some subliminal advertising going on I think...

In Germany there aren't many shops where you can buy them and I'm more interested in the Orangutan line but I can't afford them new, so I have to wait for a used pair in the second hand market which happens not too often.:oops:

I love his record related videos too, even if I have a different music taste in many cases but he and also Herb Reichert are such kind and interesting people that I can watch them for hours.

His last record video about the Bob Marley "Catch a fire" album was very interesting.

Thanks for posting @Old Shatterhand interesting video, interestingly cut, no exhale and looking a bit red eyed smoking a New York blunt :cool:
quite apt for the subject;)

Catch a fire is a great LP too, though my copy is a Japanese reissue and not an original, I'd love to hear a pair of the Orangutan 093 speakers but living in NI there's no stockist here either though perhaps now they have new distribution in the UK they may be more if chance of them becoming more widely available.

Yup, interesting guy. He did the voiceover for the Stereophile tribute video for Art Dudley which was posted here a wee while back, featuring the deaf Dead fan.

I was talking to John Roberts at MAX the other day, and he assures me I'd love the speakers. I suspect he might well be correct, but for the moment I'll restrict myself to adding a page on the website...

I use a second hand pair of Gibbon Super 8s which will see me through plenty of years. He uses a furniture cabinet maker so they ate heavy and solid as well as sounding fine.

Audio Counsel in Manchester are a UK stockist.

DeVore Fidelity - Audiocounsel

I also really enjoy JDs YouTube channel - he seems such a lovely guy and he loves black cats. He also always gets back to you super quick if you've any questions about the speakers. He was very helpful in giving some advice that allowed me to optimise the placement of mine.

I agree with him 100% on Catch a Fire by the way ( I have it on CD) - but miss Wayne Perkins overdubbed solo on Concrete Jungle which remains a thing of absolute beauty.

I like John DeVore a lot. I’ve owned his speakers as well. Just a real likable man with good insight about music and HiFi. I wonder if the thread title could be changed to DeVore Fidelity, which is the actual brand name.

I wonder if the thread title could be changed to DeVore Fidelity, which is the actual brand name.
As I was posting it I thought that something was wrong but I didn't figure out what it was and I was doing other things parallel.:oops:
Unfortunately I can't change it anymore but maybe @Tony L would be so kind.:)

DeVore Orangutans sound great when set up well. Best I’ve heard was the O96s in a larger room, set up by John using what looked like a rule of thirds. With so much space behind the speakers, and driven by a Line Magnetic amp, they produced the deepest soundstage I’ve ever heard. Great tonality too!

As I was posting it I thought that something was wrong but I didn't figure out what it was and I was doing other things parallel.:oops:
Unfortunately I can't change it anymore but maybe @Tony L would be so kind.:)
I could see me doing the same thing. I just want to make sure that folks accessing the thread can do so more easily. Thank you for your grace.

If I weren’t about to retire I would love to try the new budget friendly DeVore speakers that will be available soon.

I would love to hear the tubby blue-drivered Devore speakers, the ones with the gorgeous grain pattern on the fronts. I just like the look of them and I quite like tubby-looking speakers (e.g. my Ardens).

Actually, I wonder if I'd prefer his speakers to my Ardens. My wife likes the look of the Devores, but I'm sure that's only because they're named after monkeys....

Not heard them much, but for me, as chalk and cheese as every high sensitivity system I've ever heard/owned. If i were a rich ma (la la lala etc) I'd have a valve based de vore system somewhere for folk/chamber music, light jazz, etc etc) but for full orchestral/rockin out (man) etc, i'd need another.

advertisement

Back