advertisement

Leaves and gutters.

mandryka

pfm Member
Is there a system to get them out without dangling off the end of a ladder precariously? Even if it worked just for gutters at the first storey it would be interesting to me!

Is there a way which works to stop them getting in?

I use an old VAX wet vac, connected to a length of plastic pipe with a 135degree silicone hose elbow on the end and hoover them out. its not perfect but I only had to buy the silicone elbow, all other bits were in the garage. I have not had to go up a ladder to clean them out since. Providing the leaves are fairly dry its good, it struggles with heavy wet leaves and clods of mossy crap.
I did try and stick one of those small endoscope type cameras that you can link to your phone to the end to see what I was doing but that didn't work so well (probably would have worked with a bit more perseverance).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have those in my gutters at the French shack.
Do the job.
Once a year get removed, shaken, rinsed and replaced.

My window cleaner has a telescopic vacuum thingy. He does all the gutters once a year for £40. I hate using ladders over 8ft.

My window cleaner has a telescopic vacuum thingy. He does all the gutters once a year for £40. I hate using ladders over 8ft.
Our window cleaner has something similar. He cleaned our gutters and told me that they were the worst he had ever seen. 25 years of crap half filled our garden waste bin.

Is there a system to get them out without dangling off the end of a ladder precariously? Even if it worked just for gutters at the first storey it would be interesting to me!

Is there a way which works to stop them getting in?
Try these people, they look expensive, they are not. Gave me a quote over the phone after using Google whatever, they even disconnected the down pipes from the drain connectors before flushing out the gutters, haven’t had any problems since. Used to get grass growing in the gutters to the back of my house not anymore, they removed the gutter guard at my request, problem solved.
https://www.bensgutters.com/

On the other side we found they weren't that effective as the leaves sat on top and prevented the water coming off both roofs from draining properly. I am fortunately still nimble enough (albeit 64yrs old) to get up a ladder to clean the gutters out the old fashioned way..

Regards

Richard
This is very much experience too...much depends on the type of leaves, the ones we have embedded themselves in the hedgehogs and seeds eventually grow too. There really isn't a single solution to this.

Try these people, they look expensive, they are not. Gave me a quote over the phone after using Google whatever, they even disconnected the down pipes from the drain connectors before flushing out the gutters, haven’t had any problems since. Used to get grass growing in the gutters to the back of my house not anymore, they removed the gutter guard at my request, problem solved.
https://www.bensgutters.com/

We use Bens Gutters as well. Very good service and excellent people doing the work. I think they are quite expensive but worth it to me as I have several difficult to reach gutters.

advertisement

Back