advertisement

Kia? Really??

I would never buy a Kia. Unless they had a factory in my country perhaps. Same goes with other car makes.
I wouldn’t buy a German car either for example, or any VAG group car for that matter.
The situation is different in countries where car manufacturing stopped years ago: you have no choice.
Jaguar have factories in the UK but they are hopeless. I would never buy a Jag.

I would never buy a Kia. Unless they had a factory in my country perhaps. Same goes with other car makes.
I wouldn’t buy a German car either for example, or any VAG group car for that matter.
The situation is different in countries where car manufacturing stopped years ago: you have no choice.
Until very recently, I wouldn't have bought another French car (I speak as a long-term admirer of Citroen) as there was nothing that appealed in any of the ranges (I can't afford/justify an Alpine A110 :( ). The French loyalty to their home brewed brands does, I suspect, create a slight disincentive for those brands to produce product that the rest of the world will covet.

And what about all the component parts of the car? Do you discount anything with Bosch components or Chinese semiconductors?

I have had a Sorrento for 8 years and it has been utterly faultless over the 115,000 miles we have done - not even a new exhaust.

I believe Chartz is French so he doesn't really have a great choice as far as cars go!
indeed :D Do the French assemblers actually make their own electronics? boards, chips connectors?

And what about all the component parts of the car? Do you discount anything with Bosch components or Chinese semiconductors?

cars are assembled from a kit of parts that arrives from all over the world - so maybe assembled in France (after that boozy red wine lunch)

I do the think the desire to do long distances in ‘one run’ is a red herring. If I’m going any distance further than the 200 or so miles my Zoe will do, I’d stop for coffee. So I plan to stop and charge where there’s somewhere to have a pee and drink coffee… 45 minutes or so gets me back up to 80%. That’s another good two and a half hours of driving. Anyone doing those sorts of distances without stopping is a hazard to themselves and others. I plan carefully, I use Zap map and check my planned chargers are working and have evidence of recent charger. I avoid BP like the plague, I make sure there’s a plan B.I’ve never had a problem. The problems are mostly in peoples mind.

Daughter has the i3 and came up to Essex from London a few weeks ago. Hoped for a charge on the way but three points were broken.

Just about managed to get the car charged enough to get home here but it took time she didn't really have.

Long journeys we're very strict but i sleep well as a passenger so we pull into a layby and swap. That way you also avoid having to buy overpriced garbage and can take a decent picnic.

Sometimes i have to stop for a sleep after 50 miles, sometimes 400.

I have had a Sorrento for 8 years and it has been utterly faultless over the 115,000 miles we have done - not even a new exhaust.

I literally cannot remember ever changing an exhaust on any car we have owned or driven since the early 1980s. Even my old Datsun Cherry, been in 3 big crashes and rebuilt, was still on its original exhaust at 180K miles. I had a 180K Audi 80 (N reg), also never changed exhaust

But back when we were driving cars from the 1970s... we seemed to be in there quite a lot.

Quite a few of the new electric and hydrid cars arriving now are looking great - at least from the outside. That Hyundai looks lovely.... Sadly I cannot access an electric car until I pony up £16K to get electricity fitted into my garage, which is 100yds down the road from my house. I guess I will get there one day. A fully electric would be a fully usable option for both of us right now - so long as one of them was SUV style to get rubbish to the tip and kids to and from Uni.

but are ALL the parts made there? are the choices any good?
To me yes. I hate cars and driving anyway, they are a necessity that’s all.
But I will always buy French cars, even if I have to admit that German cars are probably better quality wise. I just hate ‘em and see no real reason to buy anything from abroad. I don’t want to support the German or the Korean economies. No way.
Not all the parts are made in France of course. A lot is made in Spain I believe (gearboxes ?) but I have no problem with that.

advertisement

Back