advertisement

Which song covers have brightened your life!

A really nice cover of a really touching song by some aging 1980s rockers. I love it - great music and so unpretentious.

The Staves
Spooky Tooth
Lake st dive
Odd one this, Hoyt wrote the song but steppenwolf recorded it first, so is it a cover? I like his almost Tibetan throat singing growling.
Slightly cheesy but puts a smile on my face

When I was a kid Halloween was my favourite time of year. And of course Bobby Boris Pickett's Monster Mash was an essential fun listen, I think this cover does it justice.

Khan you believe it!

Latisha ‘I’m Every Woman’ - I really like this, her young voice and the tempo gives the song a different feel.
Delightful.

I think for me it is stuff that introduced me to a band, e.g. this was the first Sly & The Family Stone song I heard:

The Sex Pistols No Fun almost certainly being the first Iggy/Stooges song too. It is great when stuff can open a whole new door for younger listeners who weren’t around at the time of the original.

For sheer genius I’d go with The Au Pair’s cover of Bowie’s Repetition:

For a start it is amazing that Bowie wrote such a powerful song about domestic violence (it’s on the criminally underrated Lodger), but the Au Pairs were the band to deliver it with the force it deserves.

PS Honourable mentions to both Devo’s and The Residents’s versions of Satisfaction.

advertisement

Back