advertisement

Going from analogue to digital

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
As I find myself listening to music digitally more and more, I am seriously thinking about selling my TurnTable and using some of the money to upgrade the digital side

My current system is, working from back to front, Shahinian Elfs and Rel 7 into Dynavector HX1.2 and mk2 L300/P300. From there we go one way into Armageddon, LP12 with Karma and Plateau top plate/arm board, Aro and DV XX2. On the digital side is Benchmark Dac, Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer with allo digi one signature and shanti PS.

My question is this, if I were to spend half the proceeds of selling the LP12, what should I spend the money on on the digital side to get best improvement in SQ?

Spend the proceeds on more music. Or if you have streaming, on something else (wine? or whatever else illuminates music...)

Your system is easily good enough already. Pursuing "upgrades" will only distract you from what it is intended to accomplish.

If you must spend money, room correction is the way to go.

Last edited:
Spend the proceeds on more music. Or if you have streaming, on something else (wine? or whatever else that illuminates music...)

Your system is easily good enough already. Pursuing "upgrades" will only distract you from what it is intended to accomplish.

If you must spend money, room correction is the way to go.
I had thought that my rather ‘homemade’ RPi set up, might be inferior to an expensive off the shelf streamer. I take it from what you say that that ‘ain’t necessarily so!?

As I find myself listening to music digitally more and more, I am seriously thinking about selling my TurnTable and using some of the money to upgrade the digital side

My current system is, working from back to front, Shahinian Elfs and Rel 7 into Dynavector HX1.2 and mk2 L300/P300. From there we go one way into Armageddon, LP12 with Karma and Plateau top plate/arm board, Aro and DV XX2. On the digital side is Benchmark Dac, Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer with allo digi one signature and shanti PS.

My question is this, if I were to spend half the proceeds of selling the LP12, what should I spend the money on on the digital side to get best improvement in SQ?
Sell the turntable, buy a cheaper one so you can still spin vinyl and then use the surplus for your digital streaming side. You’ll miss vinyl. I still have an fm tuner, cassette deck, CD player, TT and streaming solution. I like to skip between formats when it takes my fancy. A format for every occasion!.

I had thought that my rather ‘homemade’ RPi set up, might be inferior to an expensive off the shelf streamer. I take it from what you say that that ‘ain’t necessarily so!?
Well, my £450 streamer sits in a £10,000 system and I have never for a moment felt that it let the side down.

PS sorry to use vulgar £numbers, but there you go...

You could reduce your digital side down to one box, there are a few all in ones that are worth looking at, not sure that it will be a significant or even minor audible improvement though, just tidier. Had a load of streaming gear including all the stuff you listed. Lumin, Auralic and Matrix all make really nice stuff, plenty of others to choose from. Streaming really is the definition of diminishing returns, I’ve spent a large amount to get a small improvement. Spending on a TT is way more rewarding vfm wise, but you wanna go the other way :)

To free up cash I’d do what Del says, buy a cheap TT and keep the LPs, no way you replace a vinyl collection these days either easily or for the same cost. I’d buy a a used Techy 1500C or 1200 and keep the XX2 or chop that in for an AT95 which is fab value and you can always upgrade the stylus to the ML.

Apart from physical use of digital music, what exactly are you looking for to 'improve' sound quality? Reason I ask is because you present vinyl system looks pretty decent in providing 'SQ'... Also your LP's will retain life if you keep your TT... Having both digital and vinyl replay may prove a rich musical benefit in the long run...

Unless you really need to release money just maintain the tt. I’m much the same as you, so, apart from a cheap extra arm to play with ive stopped investing in the deck. Amber Audio has been a test bench for upgrading with digital so his comment that all the money you throw at digital from where you are will probably just get you prettier or more convenient, not aural nivana.

Or a Well Tempered Simplex?

I totally agree with the posters here that say keep a record player. I got rid of my Linn years ago and a Well Tempered is a step up in my view, as good as the LP12 is. I use a Bluesound Node 2i into my Dynavector preamp and it sounds great.

You could reduce your digital side down to one box, there are a few all in ones that are worth looking at, not sure that it will be a significant or even minor audible improvement though, just tidier. Had a load of streaming gear including all the stuff you listed. Lumin, Auralic and Matrix all make really nice stuff, plenty of others to choose from. Streaming really is the definition of diminishing returns, I’ve spent a large amount to get a small improvement. Spending on a TT is way more rewarding vfm wise, but you wanna go the other way :)

To free up cash I’d do what Del says, buy a cheap TT and keep the LPs, no way you replace a vinyl collection these days either easily or for the same cost. I’d buy a a used Techy 1500C or 1200 and keep the XX2 or chop that in for an AT95 which is fab value and you can always upgrade the stylus to the ML.
There is a used SL1500C on Hifi Wigwam for £475… an unreal bargain for a good turntable

There is a used SL1500C on Hifi Wigwam for £475… an unreal bargain for a good turntable

If your ears are anything like mine, this step could be a massive upgrade which will rekindle your love of vinyl and liberate money for new records.

advertisement

Back