advertisement

Mustard - wots the best

Coleman's is excellent but I tend to change the brand often, the French variant is of course worth trying. My two favourites:

url
d4edemst
sheuvmpu

Agree with the consenus, freshly made Coleman's powder, pre mixed doesn't come close.
Can you tell me in a few words how to use the powder ?

And, actually, I use mustard seeds for Indian cuisine. Wouldn't it be even better to grind them in a mortar instead of buying powder ?

Have you tasted them ?

The two above are pretty noserunny, though I know Coleman's is even stronger (I like it BTW). But in any case, mustard isn't about being as spicy as possible, this is for youngsters trying to outcool each other. It depends what you use it for - in a marinade I would happily use rather spicy one, but a Bavarian Weisswurst is just not good with mouth-burning stuff, for this you use the sweet variant (or the Maille with honey). Too spicy salad sauce kills the salad too.

I prefer the Amora to the Maille, among the really cheap ones, and for sauce moutarde.

Can you tell me in a few words how to use the powder ?
Mix with a small amount of very cold water to smooth paste say 15mins before use: just as the very small writing on the pack suggests.
You can try spirit vinegar - but honestly, 5-10g of Colman's powder and maybe up to half that in cold water will give you the heat and flavour in depth. You need to pick a vessel small enough to make this work - shot glass or sim.

hang on a mo- since I want some in 20mins time, 15secs from before to nearly-mixed :

mustard-800px.jpg

and that said - I'm a big fan of the variety of French mustards, from the mild generic ones with a hint of cumin to Dijon, Poupon etc. So well-developed in savour to complement a wide variety of food.

That is just...........weird. :eek:

I know... I think the main reason is that so much of the chicken available to me now is bland mass-produced yuck - and I really can't justify the spend on decent ones (I do the shop/cooking for two of us).

For a decent free-range, corn fed slow maturing breed chicken, I'd probably go with a decent tomato chutney, or a mellow mustard of some kind. Frenchs is not exactly haute cuisine, but it does go well with a variety of foods.

We love Colmans, usually using the ready made stuff, although the powdered is still wonderful. Only issue with the powdered form is me, misjudging the amount of water, then misjudging the powder, then the water, then the powder again, until it’s perfect but I have a bucketful of mustard.
Will get some Tracklements to try though - cheers for the tip.

Mick

For the days when I feel like junk food (I make my own - apart from the bockwurst to go in a hot dog) French's yellow mustard.

The snobs will turn up their noses, but there are a few applications where French's Yellow is exactly the right choice - mostly cheeseburgers and hot dogs. Anything much more sophisticated than that will need a more sophisticated condiment.

advertisement

Back