advertisement

Sign of life from Meridian Audio - new speakers

Proper company, no need to bring out new models without reason
I have to say, I’ve always had a lot of time for Meridian, along with Linn, they were a brand i aspired to from the beginning of my interest in HIFI. I bought into Linn first over Meridian for one simple reason, the Linn dealer was the better dealer and helped make kit more accessible on my minuscule teenagers wages… a few years later and with more disposable income, I bought into some Meridian kit and I love it. It’s just beautifully built and finished, and it sounds great.

£75,000...nice

Yikes - I figured they are on the wrong side of 50k EUR, but that translates into not quite 90'000 EUR!

This will probably push the 7200 XE above 50k EUR, and the 5200 around 25k? As for the latter, I always thought that it was a missed opportunity that Meridian went with a 2.5-way design - if you are going fully active with all the digital crossover trickery, why not do a proper 3-way speaker?

Furthermore I realised that the 8000 never had a display on top like the 7200 or the 5200 have, so there is some chance that Meridian might still screw this up with the corresponding XE versions, but I hope they don't.

The thread title makes me wonder: is there a concern about Meridian?

Well they have been quiet for a couple of years now, with just their collaborations with LG and some car brands, and their custom installation products in the news.

And with so many once established companies in difficulty, I am glad that they are back on the radar with some more traditional (well, not quite) HiFi products.

Pretty sure Linus tech tips did a site tour and basically there was no one there! I do like meridian though, as a kid I remember hearing an active set up and remember it being superb.

Bought a Meridian DSP-5000 surround system (6 -24/96 -5 working ,center and subwoofer) for pretty close to peanuts. These are 20 year old speakers -I use one pair currently as my main stereo speakers -took awhile to figure out how to fit my analog front end into them -but they have caused me to sell off a pile of classic amps ,preamps and speakers (some much newer than these 20 years old Meridian DSP-5000's). I remember walking into Meridian's suite at one of the last Chicago CES shows (early 90's?) and being blown away by a classical piece that was demonstrating dynamic contrasts I'd expect from corner K-horns and without the horn distortions - very loud -really clean sounding.Was going to tell the store owner/boss about these -then looked at the price and thought there's just no point in trying to pedal these in beertown. But almost 30 years later -old n obsolete Meridian speakers make me very happy. I do understand that ya'll in the UK have a Meridian dealer network to go listen to their new products -here in the USA-not so much. BTW-off topic -but just heard that Klipschorn is coming out with a new speaker employing DSP crossovers (you still have to provide amps) -$35 k per pair - DSP -VERY interesting.

Allen Boothroyd is no longer with us, and Bob Stuart has left Meridian, so neither of the company's founders are at Meridian. I think that is why there has been concern about Meridian's future. FWIW my Meridian journey ended about ten years ago when I wanted SACD, but Meridian did not.

I enjoyed my dsp5500 with g68 processor, but Meridian changed and went for the hifi boutique market. Firmware upgrades no longer available online to the user and only available through dealers at an exorbitant price. I’m guessing that they had to decide whether they were a brand for enthusiasts or for the well heeled lifestyle market; they appear to have chosen the latter.

advertisement

Back