advertisement

Headphone Advice (warm sounding)

Personally I'd go for a pair of HD600 and pair them with a tube amp to add the desired amount of warmth. I own quite a few headphones, and have auditioned several more costing thousands of pounds, but I keep coming back to the 600. They may be bested by other headphones on certain criteria, but as an overall package they get the most things right IMO. For me they deliver an almost perfect balance of clarity/detail and cohesion/musicality.

Same here, I've tried many but always came back to these. It's not that they are 'impressive' more that to my ears they do nothing wrong and I soon stop analysing.

Well, I never knew that, and here I am recommending them after two years with Elears and many more with 650s. I think it depends upon the amp. Nothing in hifi works at its optimum unless partnered synergistically. Transparency and airiness is how I'd describe the Elears. A wee bit on the heavy side comparatively but supremely comfortable for long periods.

Impedance matching within the confines of the amp's gain is fairly important.
I’ve had the Clears since they were released and without EQ and tubes in the mix I don’t get along with them very well. Using a Schiit Lyr3 which is a smooth and slightly laid back amp. I’m sure some big boy amps from the likes of ECP DNA and such will be a big upgrade but then you’re speaking of 2k+ for a headphone amp at which point i’d just rather toss in some EQ and save the money for the stereo. Also there are some measurements that show a bit of roughness up there, nothing major but for me it was annoying.

The 600 series are just an easy recommendation, I’ve bought the HD600 in 2001 and it’s still going strong. Give it some tubes and it still one of the best bargains in head-fi.

I bought the HD600 in 2001 and it’s still going strong. Give it some tubes

Having 650s, in sad need of new pads, unfortunately, I agree that they're a no-brainer, vfm all things to all men cans. However, they, or at least my 650s, are a little on the dark (warm?) side, and I'm baffled as to how valved amplification could improve the tonal presentation.

My own can-amp is a class A Myryad but I had Naim's Headline (highly powered too) before. Guess that wasn't a brilliant amp, or my Myriad is. Total chalk and cheese.

I think Focal Clears are one above the Elears but I'm not sure just how much incremental improvement is wrought from ascending the model chain to Utopias

Last edited:
Having 650s, in sad need of new pads, unfortunately, I agree that they're a no-braine, vfm all things to all men cans. However, they, or at least my 650s, are a little on the dark (warm?) side, and I'm baffled as to how valved amplification could improve the tonal presentation.

My own can-amp is a class A Myryad but I had Naim's Headline (highly powered too) before. Guess that wasn't a brilliant amp, or my Myriad is. Total chalk and cheese.

I think Focal Clears are one above the Elears but I'm not sure just how much incremental improvement is wrought from ascending the model chain to Utopias
Well i’ve had the 600’s and 650’s on a tweaked out Bottlehead crack and that was amazing other than the somewhat loose bass. Just an OTL trait but it did not darken the cans even more it just brought out the best in them and you could tweak the sound with caps, tubes and other upgraded parts. So many different flavors to try with tubes alone that’s why i recommended them to people not sure what they want. If you don’t go down the expensive tube rabbit hole it can be a lot cheaper than buying and selling amps and cans. Fun too!

For me solid state and headphones never really mixed, maybe i got spoiled early on by getting a tube amp pretty early on for my 600’s. If that amp didn’t break down i would probably still be using it, tried fixing it but it’s a custom design and i’m not skilled enough to find out what’s wrong. Maybe some day…

From what i gather the Utopia is the most revealing and finicky when it comes to the whole chain. Never heard them but at the price of those and the amps it needs to shine and even then having to be careful with certain recordings ehm yeah no thanks!

I've got the Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX, and there's nothing that irks me about them.
That sounds a bit "damning with faint praise", but it's not how I mean it.
Oh, run off a Benchmark DAC2HGC btw.

For me solid state and headphones never really mixed, maybe i got spoiled early on by getting a tube amp pretty early on for my 600’

My can amp is about the only thing in my collection which isn't valved (oh yes, the tuner too). I needed lots of inputs etc. and valved can-amps don't generally give you that.

Not sure the Utopias need anything more in an amp than the others; one of these days I'll press the button but I can't live with disappointment so awaiting an (unlikely) opportunity to try first. I use my 650s mainly for TV and the Focals at the other end of the room (garden view) for R3 and 2 prog's.

My can amp is about the only thing in my collection which isn't valved (oh yes, the tuner too). I needed lots of inputs etc. and valved can-amps don't generally give you that.

Not sure the Utopias need anything more in an amp than the others; one of these days I'll press the button but I can't live with disappointment so awaiting an (unlikely) opportunity to try first. I use my 650s mainly for TV and the Focals at the other end of the room (garden view) for R3 and 2 prog's.
Well from what i can see people are trying to EQ the Utopia’s with expensive amps. We all know it’s quite a normal thing amongst audiophiles be it with cables or what have you. Luckily not something i adhere to. Tubes, dsp and room treatment i’ll try it all.

Sorry for the delay in replying to the thread. Thanks So much for the advice and recommendations, I will check out everything mentioned. thanks again.

I’d love a chance to hear some myself!

By all means try some, but I purchased a pair off ebay, they were no better than my PSB's, also purchased a pair of Senn HD700's a few days later, made the Audeze sound like they were stuffed with cotton wool. Loved the 700's but they were just not getting used enough and were later sold. I have since purchased AKG 702's and am happy with them.

For £600 I would be looking at a second hand Stax set up. Even the basic 202/252 would be under budget and miles better than a 650 with a cheap amp.

Shure.
Studio quality phones. Well made, comfy and just an edge towards a warm sound, esp in the upper bass. Love mine. Almost prefer them to the tannoys (Ok, I do, but shhhh).
Shure 1540.
I prefer them to anything from Sennheiser.

advertisement

Back