advertisement

Headphone Advice (warm sounding)

wezzywest

pfm Member
Hi,
I am looking for advice and recommendations for a potential headphone purchase. I am running a Rega Isis CD player, Exposure 30102sd integrated amp and a Rega Ear amp which the headphones are plugged into.
My budget would be £600 or just over, for something that stood out from the rest. Preferably new, although lightly used would not be an issue. I would prefer open backed. I currently have Meze 99 classics, which work really well with my ipad and phone. Though they are quite fatiguing with my hifi set up.
Would i need to consider replacing my Rega Ear as well?
Thanks for any advice and recommendations.

sennheiser HD 800 or 800S would be a good choice
Both bought pre loved of course
Far better to buy an expensive used pair of phones than cheaper new ones

Audioquest Night Hawk/Owls could be suitable. They barely get a mention nowadays but go back a couple of years and they were popular.

AQ were some of the most comfortable wearing when I tried them some years back.
I've heard they got discontinued.

Focal Elear, over budget new but should be able to find nearly new within budget.
TS

Thoroughly seconded and I also have 650s, but the Elears are superior even if the chunky long cable needs care; it seems to get everywhere. About £500 used.

Def. not warm or even dark like my 650s but utterly neutral and dynamic (good crisp bass too).

Hyland Audio Venus at £650. Have a pair myself and are tuned warmish. Polar opposite to manySenns. Made in Uk and Alex is very helpful.

I prefer a neutral to slightly warm balance with headphones… for “cheap” headphones, B&O H6 have been my go to for many years, natural, warm and un-fatiguing presentation that belies their price. They’re not made anymore and they’re holding their value as a result, you’ll pay as much now as when they were new (people like them).

Going up from there, the one model that springs to mind is the Beyerdynamic T1 MK3, a bit above budget but the best headphone I’ve personally heard… revealing though, you need good partnering kit unless you want to find it’s limitations.

Agree with a lot here. HD800's are amazing but not warm, I even tried them with the insert mods and some Roon eq tweaks but they are still too clinical for me. The HD 650's (my current phones) are great and have a "just right" warmth to them (again, for me) but your budget probably allows you something better. I'd like to try Audeze's though I've read that they can feel rather heavy?

HD650(or 6xx) with a nice tube amp would be my recommendation. Focal headphones are a bit polarizing(timbre and uneven/slightly rough treble), not something i'd point someone to looking for warm who has a problem with the Meze 99's.

Focal headphones are a bit polarizing(timbre and uneven/slightly rough treble),

Well, I never knew that, and here I am recommending them after two years with Elears and many more with 650s. I think it depends upon the amp. Nothing in hifi works at its optimum unless partnered synergistically. Transparency and airiness is how I'd describe the Elears. A wee bit on the heavy side comparatively but supremely comfortable for long periods.

Impedance matching within the confines of the amp's gain is fairly important.

Hi,
I am looking for advice and recommendations for a potential headphone purchase. I am running a Rega Isis CD player, Exposure 30102sd integrated amp and a Rega Ear amp which the headphones are plugged into.
My budget would be £600 or just over, for something that stood out from the rest. Preferably new, although lightly used would not be an issue. I would prefer open backed. I currently have Meze 99 classics, which work really well with my ipad and phone. Though they are quite fatiguing with my hifi set up.
Would i need to consider replacing my Rega Ear as well?
Thanks for any advice and recommendations.

I'm a bit surprised the EAR HP amp is not performing, perhaps just try some other cans than Meze.?

Personally I'd go for a pair of HD600 and pair them with a tube amp to add the desired amount of warmth. I own quite a few headphones, and have auditioned several more costing thousands of pounds, but I keep coming back to the 600. They may be bested by other headphones on certain criteria, but as an overall package they get the most things right IMO. For me they deliver an almost perfect balance of clarity/detail and cohesion/musicality.

advertisement

Back