advertisement

Anti Woke movement grows

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries has said people have become afraid to say what they think for fear of being "cancelled", and that left-wing activists have "hijacked" social media.

Dorries has been outspoken on social media herself in the past, such as saying in 2017 that "left-wing snowflakes are killing comedy". Comic Mark Thomas said Dorries, who is also a successful author, had "written more books" than she had read.

Last month, The Observer described Dorries as the "minister for culture wars".

As culture secretary, her in-tray includes deciding whether to privatise Channel 4, introducing a law protecting young people from harms online, and setting the BBC's funding for the next five years.

Is Dorries a fit and proper person to decide who to sell our news channels to and influencing the BBC?

She is obviously not a fit person to decide. But then my impression is that she’s not actually deciding - she’s not bright enough.

She’s just doing as instructed by the culture wars unit in no. 10, run by Munira Mirza & her partner.

Yes. Those of a right wing persuasion don’t like any challenges to their stale rigid thinking, while those of us on the left are open, considered, enlightened, inquisitive, forward looking, sweet smelling thinkers.

That would almost have been funny if i didn't suspect that that is in fact, exactly what you think of yourself.

Yes. Those of a right wing persuasion don’t like any challenges to their stale rigid thinking, while those of us on the left are open, considered, enlightened, inquisitive, forward looking, sweet smelling thinkers.

You will have seen it as a teacher no doubt. People grow up accepting all kinds of tosh from the media, it's only certain people that ever challenge it seriously and, in many ways, educate themselves.

She is obviously not a fit person to decide. But then my impression is that she’s not actually deciding - she’s not bright enough.

She’s just doing as instructed by the culture wars unit in no. 10, run by Munira Mirza & her partner.

MIrza's wiki entry just never gets old.

Mirza is married to Dougie Smith, a former senior Conservative party aide and organiser of swinger parties.

It will be interesting to see how Dorries squares her opposition to cancel culture with the concept of cancelling stuff on the BBC which meets with the Government's disapproval. An early warning sign would be the dropping of HIGNFY.

That would almost have been funny if i didn't suspect that that is in fact, exactly what you think of yourself.
I think anyone with half a brain can see that was a joke.

You think CRT is NOT bull?
I don't think a definitive and scientific answer has been found to this question. Neither by you @ks.234 nor me. About CRT, I happily let the Berkeley campuses etc. debate about that.

What I actually called bull was the title "Craziest Reasons People Are Afraid Of Teaching Critical Race Theory In Schools" which is twisted in itself.

I don't think a definitive and scientific answer has been found to this question. Not by you @ks.234 either, if I dare write that. About CRT I happily let the Berkeley campuses etc. lose their time debating about that.
This is not a question definitives, it’s a question of wether or not you think CRT should be taught in schools.

Shame you have to end with a rather personal finger poking “you”. Somewhat spoils the tone of a discussion don’t you think?

How about engaging with the topic rather than resorting to personal attacks.

IIRC the AUP has specific rules about attacking the poster and not the post.

This is not a question definitives, it’s a question of wether or not you think CRT should be taught in schools.

Shame you have to end with a rather personal finger poking “you”. Somewhat spoils the tone of a discussion don’t you think?
CRT: I have no opinion, I am far away from being in a situation where this matters to my life. And world isn't waiting for my opinion.

Poking: if "You think CRT is NOT bull?" isn't poking, I don't know what is.

What I actually called bull was the title "Craziest Reasons People Are Afraid Of Teaching Critical Race Theory In Schools" which is twisted in itself.
I hope you realised that this article is on the website of a satirical magazine that has also run such headlines as:

* CIA Realizes It’s Been Using Black Highlighters All These Years
* Study Reveals: Babies Are Stupid

and, closer to this topic:
* Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

It will be interesting to see how Dorries squares her opposition to cancel culture with the concept of cancelling stuff on the BBC which meets with the Government's disapproval. An early warning sign would be the dropping of HIGNFY.

I fear the direction of travel was already established when The Mash Report was axed.

HIGNFY might be too high profile to remove (and Frankie Boyle's show too late night and/or easy to dismiss), but I would expect influence to be exerted where possible.

advertisement

Back