advertisement

Oz Rock!!

andyoz

pfm Member
I'm having a bit of a sabbatical back in Oz and on a nostalgia kick with Oz music.

I was too young to go to gigs in the early to mid 80's but we really had some great stuff going on. One example is the Divinyls....I think UK got some of their softer stuff but their earlier stuff was great. I never really appreciated how good a front women Chrissy Amphlett was (RIP).

There's loads of other examples...Rose Tattoo...loved that riff as a kid...even INXS was a edgy blues based pub rock band before they went all 'Pop'

LOADS!

Early Icehouse, Air Supply, little known band AC/DC ;), Midnight Oil, Wolfmother, Baby Animals, Big Pig, The Triffids, etc.....

Top of the tree has to be:

Followed by:

Honourable mentions to Little River Band, AC/DC, Men at Work, Cheetah, Cold Chisel and Jimmy Barnes.

Yes to all the above, as well as Hunters and Collectors, Cold Chisel, John Butler Trio, Mental As Anything, Boom Crash Opera, INXS (of course!), Billy Thorpe, Little River Band... too many to mention.

There are loads in addition to those above, these are some of my favourites - Midnight Oil, Eddy Current Suppression Ring, The Butterfly Effect, Dead can Dance, Spy vs Spy, Powderfinger, Birds of Tokyo, Grinspoon, Crowded House, The Angels, Silverchair, Australian Crawl, Died Pretty... and loads more. It's a shame so many of these bands never garnered a following outside of Oz.

advertisement

Back