advertisement

Bristol Hifi Show Feb 2022

Brian

Eating fat, staying slim
Anyone seen anything describing covid precautions for this event? Reducing numbers in rooms etc?

From what I see at https://www.bristolshow.co.uk/ it looks like business as usual unless I’ve overlooked it. I’ll probably be giving it a body swerve if it’s cracking on as though covid doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
The only thing I noticed is a lack of headphone brands. Having said that CanJam was held recently ….with lots of wet wipes.

Andrew

I’m planning on going as it gives me a chance to catch up with daughters & grandchildren but only if it’s “Covid safe”

I went to the last show before lockdown (2020). I think I would want to see a much reduced covid incidence before going again…..

Chaps

It will be a total waste of time.

1. The hotel will be stuffed to the gunnels with people wearing masks. Do you really want to risk your health and that of your family.

2. The rooms will be crowded, hardly the best listening situation. Also being nerdy, the electricity will be dirty and the stuff will just sound rubbish. What a total waste of time.

3. The place will be full of nerds asking the same stupid questions to reps who get totally bored to death after the first couple of hours. They want you in and out as fast as possible. This is the time that the sales staff dread. Can you imagine having to answer the same stupid repetitive questions on speaker placement, what sort of stand to use etc, it must be mental torture for the poor sods. You may think the questions are interesting, they don't.

4. The catering standards are rubbish. You will eat like a peasant and pay over the odds for the privilege.

5. Finally your wife/partner is likely to get the hump and will either nag you to death about leaving her alone and probably have it off with the milkman whilst you are indulging in gormless conversations with bored salesmen.

Hifi shows are just plain embarrassing for all concerned.

Regards

Mick

Just had to Google what BAU meant ...
Apologises. Business as usual. Now edited. Ironically, I complain at my kids for that kind of thing.

I’m planning on going as it gives me a chance to catch up with daughters & grandchildren but only if it’s “Covid safe”

Yes. This sums it up, really.

One of my kids is going with a friend and has asked me if I would like to join them. We last went in 2019 but before that I hadn’t been for at least a decade for the reasons (2,3 & 4) described by @Mick P. I’m not looking for anything so it would really be a social thing. As someone else said, though not long for me, the train journey is an issue as well due to the covid problem and we would want to have a couple of drinks so driving is out of the question.

Last edited:
I haven't been for some time so am looking forward to it.

Would be nice to arrange some get togethers and a drink there for PFM members on respective days?

If you've ever attended the Bristol hifi show, with the packed corridors of oft-unwashed erm, peopl^^^^ adherents

... there always were good reasons to wear a mask, and disinfect before and after.

Don't let Covid put you off.
Covid is a killer disease and is to be taken seriously, so some people will be put off attending this show due to coronavirus.

Are you suggesting covid is not a serious health threat, alternatively are you untroubled that some peopl (?) could be infected with a killer disease at the show and possibly die?

It is a killer disease, but then so is flu. I can't remember seeing any concern with attending previous years when particularly nasty strains of flu were kicking about

I mean, I guess we've had a flu vaccine for quite some time, so maybe that has made people less worried of the flu, but if people are vaccinated against COVID-19, why not treat it the same and move on with our lives?

If we are saying that we won't go, then surely we are never going to go again? Or do anything again? This sh*t isn't going anywhere.

The best way to make the most of the Bristol Hi-Fi show, in my experience, is to travel to Bristol, meet up with some like-minded audiophiles and you brother if you have one, repair to the Severn Shed (as was) drink their excellent Mojitos/other beverages and indulge in intelligent, witty and stimulating audiophile, philosophical, music and petrolhead conversation until all awareness of the nearby Hi-Fi show anachronism fades. Followed by steak frites and a bottle of red wine.

My sincere thanks to my brother Martin Clark, Robert and other PFM members with whom I shared this sublime experience in years past. The memory of which sustains me on long winter evenings. Cheers guys!

Enjoy!

My wife was at the NEC recently where everyone had to show they were double jabbed. Perhaps it’s assumed ‘hifi nerds’ are thick?

The best way to make the most of the Bristol Hi-Fi show, in my experience, is to travel to Bristol, meet up with some like-minded audiophiles and you brother if you have one, repair to the Severn Shed (as was) drink their excellent Mojitos/other beverages and indulge in intelligent, witty and stimulating audiophile, philosophical, music and petrolhead conversation until all awareness of the nearby Hi-Fi show anachronism fades. Followed by steak frites and a bottle of red wine...
...erm yes: the excellent @stevied also.

early afternoon damage assessment:
DSCF0217_800px.jpg

tl;dr: Besht show, also we all agreed - last show we'd ever likely try - and without that tedious bother of actually having to attend it at all: Feb 2010, by far.

Same here - Advanced Engineering at the NEC. I had to show proof of double of vaccination before admittance

How did you show proof out of interest? I noticed sometimes they don't always give you the little card as proof ...
at a recent booster for friend they didn't

advertisement

Back