advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recapped my wireless doorbell as it was making an irritating mains frequency buzz and I figured out I actually had the two caps inside in my parts bin. Half an hour later and no buzz, and one less piece of plastic crap heading for landfill. Hopefully good for a very long time now as I only had very nice Nichicon Gold caps to hand!

Thought about audiophile doorbells, possibly the next big thing...call with patent lawyer in the morning.

I think next project is to wire it to your Tannoys Tony, you’d never miss people at the door ever again :), in fact your whole street would probably hear it!

I am thinking face recognition technology combined with music samples combined with hi-fi...

Postman arrives = postman pat theme (or alternatively The Beatles - Money ...bills aplenty)
Neighbour arrives = Creep
Best mate arrives = Get the Party Started or Teen Spirit..
Doc arrives = Stayin' Alive
Police arrive - a certain tune from Straight Outta Compton...or maybe not. Silent maybe preferable.
MiL arrives = Ride of the Valkyries (quietly maybe....volume needs to be adjustable..)
SWMBO arrives = REM's It's the End of the World

Could go far this...just like having different ringtones for different callers..:D

First they say I can’t work in the main room with the others, social distancing don’t you know. I’ll have to go elsewhere, along with the lighting director.

Then the lighting director finds an excuse to work from the studio floor.

Then the aircon goes on to gale force and I have to don hat and jacket to stop myself from freezing.

Sometimes I think the heavily rustic whiff that follows me round might not be appealing to other folk.

51689630289_90bf496144.jpg

Last edited:
Sonnet 30: When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
BY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unus'd to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,
And moan th' expense of many a vanish'd sight;
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor'd, and sorrows end.

daughters are round for lunch, aubergine, halloumi and harissa skillet bake and flat breads, with an almond orange cake for afters. best go easy on the harissa as eldest daughter by half an hour or so is pregnant and the due date was yesterday. will keep the car revving up on the drive, panic stations, too old for all this, but oh such fun.

daughters are round for lunch, aubergine, halloumi and harissa skillet bake and flat breads, with an almond orange cake for afters. best go easy on the harissa as eldest daughter by half an hour or so is pregnant and the due date was yesterday. will keep the car revving up on the drive, panic stations, too old for all this, but oh such fun.

hope you have something to hand to celebrate the imminent arrival? best of luck

more work with artchitects - pitch and lab for robot football, cybersecurity and computing labs from me. Flight simulators and telecommunications from the engineers

... lighting a bonfire in the garden, waiting for EWA LS-80s to turn up (they just have :)) and wondering where we're going to live.

We've been here for 351/2 years, but the neighbour is in hospital, probably terminally. Access to our house is through his garden (it's an odd arrangement that goes back to his family's history). It's all legally sorted, but any new neighbour could make life awkward. We're very rural, too, with no relaible bus service. We have one at the moment, but with covid recovery funds to improve rural public transport, it's vulnerable. Last time the (Labour) goverment improved rural bus services, we lost our bus so that the "improved" service could improve things elsewhere ! :) At 65, I don't know how long the driving licence will last, and my wife hasn't got one anyway.

We've kept the neighbour going since his wife died 14 years ago, especially through the last three years and his various illnesses and the lockdown. Putting eardrops in twice a day for a fortnight, and waiting the 10 minutes per ear for them to soften the wax as a prelude to his going to a clinic to have it removed, anyone ? At least the long-lost/hiding son has put in an appearance, and is planning to come down next week-end, presumably to visit his dad, but mainly to start emptying the house. :rolleyes:

So what to do ? I'm from Leeds, but left in 1979 and family is all gone now. My wife is from Reading, but likewise family gone now. We don't have enough money in the bank to contemplate our hoped-for scheme: France.

A daughter in Hackney (not enough money); a son in Barcelona (see above); a son with granddaughter in Dublin. Tempted by Ireland, but it's quite expensive and wet. Wondering about Dumfries and Galloway, though that's probably quite wet, too. It wouldn't be too far to the ferry to Belfast, and then a shortish drive or train. We might go have a look next week.

It'll be quite a wrench to move from here, and will we find a house with a room suitable for the ESL63s ? We're quite picky: not overlooked, not too isolated now at our age and cheapish.

Interesting times.

Daughter #2 is coming for the weekend today. I haven’t really seen her since a messy divorce 20 years ago, other than the occasional wedding. I always got on with her, but my ex was not keen on the kids maintaining a relationship with me.
She now has a one year-old, so I will be meeting my first grandchild. It will be worrying having a toddler around the house but I hope we can find something in common after all these years.
I feel quite proud of having a brown baby too, as her partner shares a surname with the Home Secretary.

Completely wiped out today. Probably a combination of lack of sleep (4 bad nights out of 5) and a reaction to the booster jab.

Bedroom furniture has just arrived. Mrs seagull is now very happy.

Busy weekend ahead, three family birthdays on consecutive days. Son tomorrow, grandson Sunday, mother in law on Monday. Round trip of about 360 miles!

First they say I can’t work in the main room with the others, social distancing don’t you know. I’ll have to go elsewhere, along with the lighting director.

Then the lighting director finds an excuse to work from the studio floor.

Then the aircon goes on to gale force and I have to don hat and jacket to stop myself from freezing.

Sometimes I think the heavily rustic whiff that follows me round might not be appealing to other folk.

51689630289_90bf496144.jpg
I practice that face in front of the mirror, but I've not quite perfected it as yourself :)

Daughter #2 is coming for the weekend today. I haven’t really seen her since a messy divorce 20 years ago, other than the occasional wedding. I always got on with her, but my ex was not keen on the kids maintaining a relationship with me.
She now has a one year-old, so I will be meeting my first grandchild. It will be worrying having a toddler around the house but I hope we can find something in common after all these years.
I feel quite proud of having a brown baby too, as her partner shares a surname with the Home Secretary.
I've been in a similar situation. I'm sure it will turn out well in the end, getting to know one another.

Best of luck.

So what to do ? I'm from Leeds, but left in 1979 and family is all gone now. My wife is from Reading, but likewise family gone now. We don't have enough money in the bank to contemplate our hoped-for scheme: France.

A daughter in Hackney (not enough money); a son in Barcelona (see above); a son with granddaughter in Dublin. Tempted by Ireland, but it's quite expensive and wet. Wondering about Dumfries and Galloway, though that's probably quite wet, too. It wouldn't be too far to the ferry to Belfast, and then a shortish drive or train. We might go have a look next week.

It'll be quite a wrench to move from here, and will we find a house with a room suitable for the ESL63s ? We're quite picky: not overlooked, not too isolated now at our age and cheapish.

Interesting times.

I would start by getting away at weekends and see what you like. You have the whole country to choose from, so there must be somewhere nice / warm-ish / not too wet-ish / not too expensive -ish? For me, near the sea is nice.

Our retirement plan (dream?) is somewhere in Cornwall (around St Ives or Carbis bay area -ish). Had a caravan on the beach in St Ives the last few years for week in summer, but SWMBO reckons we need to get a better flavour, so we are renting DV's(@Darth Vader) pad in Carbis Bay for Christmas.

Hopefully, in 5 years or so, the WFH fad may have dwindled a bit, so make it a bit more affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back