advertisement

Some redesigned rega bits.

Prefer the look too.

Bit confused though as it says the Fono MM is the Mk5 and the Fono MC is the Mk4. Is it me or have some numbers in the sequence been missed out?

I think they look a lot better than the curved fascia design. I have the flat fronted design Fono MM2 and it is very good for the money. Surprised the Brio R wasn't given the same makeover.

Fono MC and MM, identical..

FONO_MC_MK4_MODULE_2_%281%29.jpg

And the new Neo MK2..

rega-neo-mk2-2.jpg

They do look nice. I know it's been covered before but does it make a difference using a fono mm rather than the inbuilt phono in the Elex r?

I like this style. I think it's the best Rega have used yet. It's still plastic but it looks less plasticy and importantly it means all the kit matches! I always thought it was bonkers that you could buy an amp and a turntable PSU from the same company and they wouldn't match.

In all their finery!

It's a tidy look.

I thought the old clamshell kit looked like Fisher Price. I didn't get the boxes with the dent in the top and the curved plastic fascia just looked cheap. This is still plastic but it doesn't scream plastic at you.

You could argue that the prices of things like the Aria justify an alloy fascia, heck there are people giving you fully alloy construction at Phono MM money, but this is Rega. They choose to spend your money on the bits that matter. An alloy fascia would put the price up and sound no better so plastic it is. I think it's a reasonable trade.

Prefer the look too.

Bit confused though as it says the Fono MM is the Mk5 and the Fono MC is the Mk4. Is it me or have some numbers in the sequence been missed out?
They produced a Fono MM a full generation before they introduced an MC model, it was long and narrow unit with hexagonal front profile. The Fono MM that was introduced with the original TT-PSU in the same style casing is often referred to as the MK1, but it isn’t. However the first Fono MC was introduced in the same style casework as the MK1 TT-PSU… hope this makes sense.

Hmmm. Rega's minimalist/brutalist aesthetic has served it well over the years, the clamshell era in particular was a triumph. I also found the curved fascias rather attractive. But this just looks building-block bland to me.

They do look nice. I know it's been covered before but does it make a difference using a fono mm rather than the inbuilt phono in the Elex r?
I've not compared them directly, however, one observation I've made is that prior to Brio-R all Rega integrated amps and pre-amps were 47kΩ//100pF on MM input, same as all MM versions of Fono and the MM section of Aria to date.

Starting with Brio-R MM phono input loading was changed to 47kΩ//220pF. I do find this a bit odd, especially so since Rega began specifying 100pF for Exact on their website (presumably for the phono input rather than total with tonearm wiring).

There may, of course, be other factors at play within an integrated amp.

Last edited:
They produced a Fono MM a full generation before they introduced an MC model, it was long and narrow unit with hexagonal front profile. The Fono MM that was introduced with the original TT-PSU in the same style casing is often referred to as the MK1, but it isn’t. However the first Fono MC was introduced in the same style casework as the MK1 TT-PSU… hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

I'm mainly thinking here that the outgoing Fono MM is referred to in various current sales ads as the Mk3, whereas the new one per Rega's announcement is the Mk5.

Thanks for the info.

I'm mainly thinking here that the outgoing Fono MM is referred to in various current sales ads as the Mk3, whereas the new one per Rega's announcement is the Mk5.
Yeah, they seemed to have forgotten about the actual MK1 Fono, they are incredibly rare though. I tried to find a picture of one but couldn’t… they made an Ear headphone amp in the same style of casing. (Photo borrowed from Canuck Audio Mart).

dVodgd0.jpg

The original was called Fono, whereas the second version was named Fono MM in order to distinguish between it and the then forthcoming Fono MC.

Fono and Fono MM had identical published specifications, and, just to prove that history has a way of repeating itself, Fono MM (aka MK1) included the following addition within the instruction sheet (which was otherwise the same content as for Fono)...

"The aesthetic design of the Fono was as important as the quality of its electrical capabilities, so it benefits from the same aluminium case as the Rega Ear Head phone amplifier, giving it a design which offers a familiar family feel and moreover brings it in line with its illustrious bigger brothers."

Contrast this with Fono MM MK5...

"The aesthetic design of the Fono MM was as important as the quality of its electrical capabilities, so it benefits from the same updated aluminium case as the Rega Neo and Fono MC amplifier, giving it a design which offers a familiar feel and moreover brings it in line with its illustrious bigger brothers."

Rega Fono:
137083-2c2877c0-rega_fono__mm_.jpg

137084-7b9a1c99-rega_fono__mm_.jpg

137312-fa028446-rega_fono__mm_.jpg

The look less modern more diy imo
Wait until you see them in the flesh, I thought that seeing the IO integrated and the P10 PSU in photos, they look very smart in the flesh… obviously, the P10 PSU looks and feels more expensive (because it is), but these will still look great.

advertisement

Back