advertisement

The Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders record, what to make of it?

I'm listening to it again right now. Deep into side two, and to me it sounds at its best when that recurring motif is pushed aside to give room to more interesting ideas.

Funnily enough I gave this another spin tonight, I do quite like it but then I did from first listen. I've heard nothing previous from either artist, it seems this is a bit of an outlier and one of those records that just exists as a one off that seem to come around every now and then.

I love it.

You have to be in the right mood to listen though...

For me it's a go to 'clear your head' experience.

A nice touch is the way the cover is a homage to Ornette Coleman’s Free Jazz with the same colour palette and die-cut gatefold.

Yup, I spotted that instantly.

Just checked, and Jackson Pollock’s White Light, seen through the window on the cover of Ornette’s album, is still ‘not on view’ at MoMA in New York, a while after their recent renovations. The last completed Pollock, peak abstract expressionism, and it’s sat in a basement or something (!)

Playing Promises now, and I’d forgotten how the endless refrain makes it seem somehow familiar almost right from the off...

I felt a bit sorry for the orchestra TBH. I hope they got some decent wedge for it. Generally music is more interesting when stuff happens in it.

Thanks have not heard about this album listened to it last night a really interesting/engaging piece of music a bit like a mixture of Bjork's Drawing Restraint 9 and Bobby Previte's 23 Constellations, perhaps it can be added to the New Jazz thread ? the Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8 album is brilliant :)

Sounds to me like an album of gorgeous Lalo Schifrin/David Axelrod interstitial themes written to soundtrack movie scenes in San Francisco Bay by moonlight. Lovely. It may reveal more substance in subsequent listenings.

I agree that the central phrase is not stunning but if you read up about it then it was a deliberate choice to weave around that. I was taken aback when I first heard it but find myself going back repeatedly.

advertisement

Back