advertisement

The Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders record, what to make of it?

I bought the blue vinyl from Bleep on release and really like it. It is back available again on black vinyl (Amazon). Kind of what I was expecting as it is primarily a Floating Points album, though Pharoah Sanders has been playing around with modern beats etc for quite a while now. A nice touch is the way the cover is a homage to Ornette Coleman’s Free Jazz with the same colour palette and die-cut gatefold. One of the top albums of what has been a truly amazing year IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It’s pretty subtle. I bought it on the strength of the track on the mojo best of 21 CD. I subscribe to the mag, I also just bought the latest album by the Villagers. These have also passed me by, they have been around a little while.

I do like the Pharoah Sanders record, never heard of Floating Points. It’s certainly an album you can relax to, quite meditative.

just bought the download rather than the vinyl or CD when it came out - also rather like it

I think I'm in the minority in that I was a little underwhelmed on first listen. I'll give it another go!

I'll own up to never even really giving it a chance, just a couple "flip-throughs". In fact, I finally resolved this morning to listen to it in full (on Spotify atm), which is currently ongoing, being at Movement 8 as I write this. I'll agree with what everyone says that it's subtle and I should probably give it a few more listens. I'm just not sure of when I'll be in the mood for it. I've never really warmed up to anything jazz or jazz-adjacent.

I listened to Promises a lot when it came out. It’s certainly an easy listen, though I haven’t played it in a while.

never heard of Floating Points

Nothing like the one with Pharoah, but perhaps try his first album, Elaenia; or for something different again, the clubbier Nuits Sonores. I love this stretched-out and kind of jazzy section from Elaenia...

And yes, Nala Sinephro’s album is great. Another one of my faves of the year.

I found this year to be almost overwhelming in terms of music, lots of good new stuff but also really dug into ‘new to me’ back catalogue.

Streaming this one now and enjoying it v much. Sadly Amazon Music on my TV doesn’t “get” the fact the tracks should be gapless…Best buy it then.

I have just clipped through it on YouTube waiting for it to start. It never did so it's a no from me and I am a big fan of Sanders/Coltrane stuff. Back to some traditional Chinese music tracks now, far more interesting.

advertisement

Back