advertisement

Bluesound power upgrades worth it if using optical to external DAC?

Anyone know if the PSU on the new 2021 node can be upgraded?
Teddy Pardo offers a replacement psu for the 2021 node. It involves taking the psu out of the node and replacing it with another board. No soldering involved but you have to be able to use a screwdriver. There are full instructions on his website. I’m contemplating getting a node and if I do then the standard psu will be replaced by the Teddy. It’s so easy even I can do it.

Teddy Pardo offers a replacement psu for the 2021 node. It involves taking the psu out of the node and replacing it with another board. No soldering involved but you have to be able to use a screwdriver. There are full instructions on his website. I’m contemplating getting a node and if I do then the standard psu will be replaced by the Teddy. It’s so easy even I can do it.

I looked at this earlier and the Teddy P 2021 Node upgrade is 'boardless'. The PSU does it all 'offboard' and only the inlet plug and wiring are replaced. Have a look at the installation PDF on the website.
I was poised to pull the trigger and then came across a forum where the Teddy Pardo mod was said to offer minimal benefit if using the Node DAC. Aarghh. Back to the drawing board with Fidelity Audio I think.

Stemcor & moonbuggy - thanks for that i will have a look at the TP. I'm using the Node output to Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
Cheers.

I looked at this earlier and the Teddy P 2021 Node upgrade is 'boardless'. The PSU does it all 'offboard' and only the inlet plug and wiring are replaced. Have a look at the installation PDF on the website.
I was poised to pull the trigger and then came across a forum where the Teddy Pardo mod was said to offer minimal benefit if using the Node DAC. Aarghh. Back to the drawing board with Fidelity Audio I think.

TBH - I’d be surprised if it makes no difference. Unsure if anyone here has a TP Node upgrade?

I'd be amazed if an external psu swap made a difference to a digital file server. It'd have to be awful inside.

Firstly, apologies if I caused any confusion when I used the term “board” in respect of the Teddy replacement.

@sq225917 I used to own a squeezebox touch with a Teddy dac vc. I was a bit sceptical about adding a psu for the squeeze but as Teddy offers a no-quibble retun, I took the plunge. I was very surprised by the improvement. If you look at the squeeze as a digital file server then I can see why the addition of an psu seems to make no sense. I cannot offer an explanation for the improvement - I just know that it happens !

The Teddy mod for the node looks like it is reversible; I can’t see how it isn’t. Factor in Teddy’s return policy and the only risk is the cost of shipping.

Many thanks. Worth investigating I think. I'm waiting to see if Bluesound will activate the USB output on the new Node as promised.
Cheers.

I'd be amazed if an external psu swap made a difference to a digital file server. It'd have to be awful inside.

Really? I think it’s fairly well-known that they do quite often make a difference. Bluesound Node2i’s are built to a budget, hence the OEM psu is pretty basic.

The the SB was designed down to a price, limited regulation etc, I'd expect the bluesound to be a better thing.

Really? I think it’s fairly well-known that they do quite often make a difference. Bluesound Node2i’s are built to a budget, hence the OEM psu is pretty basic.

That depends on the sources of information you choose to trust. It's not an absolute. There aren't any absolutes in this territory.

So have given my Fidelity Audio (the base board and linear psu) a decent listen to over the last couple of nights.

Bass is definitely better in terms of both clarity and power, timing too. I’d actually say there are improvements across the frequency range. Sweeter treble and the midrange is even more transparent than it was before.

System for reference is Node2i > Weiss DAC202 > Avondale Grad One/TPX2/ZAP250 > Epos ES14’s.

Good stuff. Was it this one? Bluesound NODE 2 & 2i - Linear 1 PSU Interface (fidelityaudio.co.uk)

The the SB was designed down to a price, limited regulation etc, I'd expect the bluesound to be a better thing.

I think it is a better unit overall and I had a Duet (meh), a 3, a Touch and a Plus.

But from my experience it does benefit from power supply upgrades.

I think the Teddy Pardo, as well as the PD Creative and Fidelity mods are less efficacious when using an external DAC. There's nothing significantly different about their implementation, so effects should be similar across the board and largely tied to the quality of the power supply.

I installed the TP upgraded PSU earlier this week. The most difficult thing it getting the two halves of the Node to click into place correctly when reassembling it!

So far as the sound goes, TP state that it takes a week to burn in with further improvments over a month. So it started off a bit rough, got better, got worse and now it's getting better again.

I think the Teddy Pardo, as well as the PD Creative and Fidelity mods are less efficacious when using an external DAC. There's nothing significantly different about their implementation, so effects should be similar across the board and largely tied to the quality of the power supply.
There's definitely not consensus on this from previous posts here! Happy to go with those that have tried it.
Cheers.

advertisement

Back