advertisement

Good looking speaker cable?

Good looking speaker cable = speaker cable you can't see (hidden)
I think that was the point of my OP. If the new arrangements work hiding 8m of cable will involve some significant and expensive building work. Lifting the floor; removing skirting or chasing through plaster. Whilst the cables are on the floor during a trial I’d like them to look nice.

At the minute due to living in a rental and having to put an excess of furniture in the living room I have my system at one end and the speakers at the other, I bought a couple of 6.5m long lengths of Chord Odyssey it goes from the back of the amps then behind a sofa, theres a bit of excess below the sofa for one speaker, then it's just below the edge of a rug, with one run across the front of a fireplace at the other edge of the same rug, under the base of the speaker stand and up into the back of the speaker, there's a little bit of cable visible but nothing noticeable, if run Nordost and TQ under carpet and rugs which makes for a neat job.

How do you find the Linn K200 against say the K20 or other Linn cables you have had?
I preferred it over both K20 (which I only used for a short period) and K600. I used to have a three way ‘aktiv’ setup but moved to passive some years ago.
I used one pair of each run of K600 for a while, but was then given some K20 with an amp I bought. Wasn’t that taken with that so moved to K200. I’ve read of folk preferring a single pair of K600 (or K400) to the new cable, but not me, although it’s entirely possibly the K600 connections were getting old and knackered - I bought it in ‘93 and it’s never been reterminated in the years since.

Mick

I agree, and that goes for all cables, but it is not always easy and cost effective. If that is the case, why not make them look the best you can.
Buy Amazon Basics (plenty enough) and spray the damn thing the colour you want if it must be in plain sight.

I think that was the point of my OP. If the new arrangements work hiding 8m of cable will involve some significant and expensive building work. Lifting the floor; removing skirting or chasing through plaster. Whilst the cables are on the floor during a trial I’d like them to look nice.

And there's nothing wrong with that, in my post it was going to cost £20 at the most to make the cables look better, why do these people post on a thread they aren't interested in beats me, maybe they have nothing better to do than spoil other folks enjoyment.

My speaker cable is an Audioquest made for in-wall installations. I dressed it up by putting a Tech-Flex braided sleeve over it and heat-shrinking the ends. It's fairly presentable, as far as speaker cables go.

Well of course it is Yank, that is why I suggested a braided sleeving, especially if you can get the colour you want. I did also put heat shrink, which would go over the sleeve and part of the plug.

I use sommer 4mm2 cable, it's very flexible, rubber coated, does what it says on the tin, and is cheap (£3.30 per metre).

This is how flexible it is:

PXL_20201015_064157590 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

And you can get it here:

https://www.studiospares.com/Cables...ian-24mm-Black-Speaker-Cable-per-m_546415.htm

There's a grey version as well.

It will also work as an install cable, although they have a specific one for this which is less flexible, but is slipperier so pulls through ducts more easily.

Without knowing your exact layout, the other long term solution would be a flat cable which could be laid under carpet if you are in a carpetted space, but that's going to be something to consider when you have decided that your layout works better as it'd be quite a disruption to get things moved around to allow for this to be laid.

Thanks all, I think I've decided to agree with almost everyone.

Plan A: This and this initially, then
Plan A+: Add these when I can get them from China:
I really do love those copper spades, its worth waiting for them before braiding the cable. I also like my own idea of putting a flat ethernet cable in the braid with one of the speaker cables.

Plan B: If I like the sonic outcome but not the aesthetics, call the joiner

PS: Missed the Sommer 4mm2 cable directly above, that might fit both scenarios i'll investigate.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think if you can't hide them then 'nearly unobtrusive' doesn't work.

May as well make a bold statement.

I think if you can't hide them then 'nearly unobtrusive' doesn't work.

May as well make a bold statement.

I'm not so sure. The brain is pretty amazing at factoring out stuff which it sees all the time, that's how you can end up with a front room looking like mine, feeling it's totally normal, and then other people who don't know me go sort of quiet when they walk in... :)

Well of course it is Yank, that is why I suggested a braided sleeving, especially if you can get the colour you want. I did also put heat shrink, which would go over the sleeve and part of the plug.

So you're snarking at me for agreeing with you?

advertisement

Back