advertisement

January Weekend Break

Apart from last year we’ve been taking a long weekend break at the end of January. Recently been to Brussels, Amsterdam and Seville. We usually go with friends but they can’t go in January this year and we’re doing Edinburgh in March with them.

I really like the January break, I find January the hardest month and it’s nice to look forward to something after Christmas. We really enjoyed Seville, great city and it was nice to be in relative warmth. So looking for a 4 days break in somewhere relatively warm in Europe. Prefer Air BnB over hotels.

We were considering Cadiz but it’s quite far from the nearest airport, would prefer somewhere that’s a shortish taxi ride from the airport.

Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers BB

Porto
or
somewhere easily accessible from Faro Airport - e.g. Estoi or Tavira

Bilbao won't be that warm but a lovely city for a short break

Valencia

I hope you will offset your carbon if you intend to fly.

Last edited:
Thanks GT, I’ll take a look. Have visited Valencia before, we used to holiday down the coast when my boss had apartment there. Good place for a long weekend if anyone else is considering.

Hadn’t considered carbon offset, I’ll ask my kids.

Cheers BB

I went to Venice for a break in January 2019. It was cold and there were even a few flakes of snow at one point. The restaurants the locals frequent were open and there were always seats in the cafes and bars.
Venice without the crowds! Terrific.

I went to Venice for a break in January 2019. It was cold and there were even a few flakes of snow at one point. The restaurants the locals frequent were open and there were always seats in the cafes and bars.
Venice without the crowds! Terrific.
I'd second that. A wise person told me long ago that Venice was better against a grey sky than a blue one, it's more atmospheric and by going in the winter you avoid the worst of the crowds and smelly canals.

Malta, Sicily, Athens or Crete perhaps? They all combine a decent probability of sunshine in January with lots of history.
Madeira, Tenerife, or maybe the Azores?

Whilst we were in Seville it got up to 15 degrees but 10-12 for 3 of the days, warm enough for a sweatshirt or light jacket. Don't fancy 4.5 hour flight. I'm liking the look of Porto so far.

Cheers BB

We did a cold one a few years ago, Tallin for a few days then a coach down to Riga.

Lovely crisp and dry coldness and it never thawed.

Dress accordingly but all the bars and restaurants were amazingly cosy.

We tend to do long walks and saw most of both cities, great moose vindaloo in Tallin. Vincents in Riga was very good if you can navigate the paupers end of the menu.

Amazing organ in Riga cathedral, could be better positioned.

Whilst we were in Seville it got up to 15 degrees but 10-12 for 3 of the days, warm enough for a sweatshirt or light jacket. Don't fancy 4.5 hour flight. I'm liking the look of Porto so far.

Cheers BB

Porto is ideal as the flight is not too long and the airport transfer is quick. I can recommend the Intercontinental.

I can recommend the Intercontinental.

counting up - i think we've stayed 6 times (not the 5 i mentioned earlier)

we stayed at the Intercon a couple of times, but decided it was too impersonal too corporate and trying too hard for us. Nice place if thats your thing.

We've stayed here twice https://www.pestanacollection.com/uk/hotel/pestana-porto?uid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

here once https://www.pousadas.pt/uk/hotel/pousada-porto?uid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

and by far the best hotel in Porto, if you want luxury - and a treat - http://www.the-yeatman-hotel.com/en...wSADxxxl4lK5VrsfFC9Utdih_740ZpyBoCGhsQAvD_BwE

Cheers guys, we'll be looking for an apartment, I don't really enjoy hotels, although I'm sure Mrs BB would appreciate the Yeatman.

Cheers BB

I'd second that. A wise person told me long ago that Venice was better against a grey sky than a blue one, it's more atmospheric and by going in the winter you avoid the worst of the crowds and smelly canals.

That maybe true, but not only is it cold, it is also damp, so can be deeply unpleasant out on the water.

advertisement

Back