advertisement

Buying second hand speakers

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all

first post in a while.

planning on buying some new speakers (to me) second hand so won’t have opportunity to demo. Looking for some advice / experience to assist me.

I have the following front end / system- raspberry pi 4 with volumio streaming tidal or from memory stick via usb to rega dac-r, also have a rega P6 with exact cart. Amplifier is the exposure 3010s2d integrated. Current speakers are neat momentum sx3i which are excellent but when they will be repositioned firing down the long way of the room you loose the bass impact of them (which I love) and so need something a little bigger.

my shortlist is as follows:

neat momentum sx5i
Pmc twenty5 24 or older model
Atc scm40 v1 or 2
Spendor A7, D7
Neat ultimatum xli

Pretty certain I will like the sx5i so probably top of my list but don’t want to rule out other brands so just curious of others experience?

room size is 6x5x3.5 m with a large bay window.

many thanks

My only advice if buying speakers without hearing them on the end of your system and in your room is be prepared to be shocked, surprised, amazed, pleased, delighted or disappointed or any other reaction you can think of, it helps if your familiar with the 'family' sound of the speaker company or if you've heard the particular model in a shop, at a show or in someone's home. They're all from good companies that have been manufacturing speakers for quite sometime and I'm sure all have their fans, I always liked anything I heard from only a few models of Neat speakers , Atc, Spendor or PMC, at shows mainly but a few in houses over the years. Probably good to examine positioning and the speakers design, ports etc some may or may not really be suitable for where you'd like to position them.

The floor construction?
Some very different balances in that list
It’s a house, floor is original wooden floor boards with plywood and new oak flooring over the top. Under original floor would be a 1.5 foot drop to foundations. It’s an old property if that makes much difference with thick sandstone walls

Why not invest in a good quality sub and use with your current speakers initially as a trial?

You could have them firing down the room as required and place sub in the vicinity as not so imperative where placed.

btw, where’s the bay? In front of you or sideways on as you fire speakers down the room?

Why not invest in a good quality sub and use with your current speakers initially as a trial?

You could have them firing down the room as required and place sub in the vicinity as not so imperative where placed.

btw, where’s the bay? In front of you or sideways on as you fire speakers down the room?
Bay is on the left hand side to where the speakers will be pointing,on the long wall .

did consider subs but don’t think I’d get away with any additional boxes plus I think it would be more expensive. For example if I change for the sx5i they essentially have subwoofers built in and wouldn’t cost too much to change

Stick to the signature sound you enjoy. I’ve tried the ATC, Spendor and PMCs and didn’t get on with any of them. I bought B&W 804D3 . They all sound a bit different so if you like the Neat sound, and can’t demo others, play safe. Several of the speakers on your list have been rated 5* somewhere or other but it doesn’t mean you’ll like them

I suspect something like the ATC’s would benefit from better front ends and amplification. My view has always been speakers last despite what some say.

Maybe not on your radar, sub sats aren’t everyones cup of tea. ProAc DB1/Studio 100 or similar on very heavy stands and a REL.

Allaboutmusic

Speakers are a total pain in the neck and the chances of getting a new pair right are remote. If you are the sort of person who is prepared to change and change and change yet again, your chances of 100% satisfaction are still virtually nil and you will soon be looking for that non existent nirvana, in other words, a sad old audiophile who is never satisfied.

You will end up forever repositioning the speakers on distance apart, toe in and in and out from the wall and even repositioning your sofa to hit the sweet spot.

The answer is to forget traditional speakers and go for omnidirectional ones. I bought a pair of Briks in the early nineties and kept them for over 20 years and never once did I query the sound. They just sounded great and I only replaced them because the wife wanted a change of image and something smaller. I bought a pair of Shahinian Arcs that were also omnidirectional and the sound was an instant hit with both me and the wife. You connect them up and then just play them. They sound great no matter where they are positioned.

My view is that Hifi is to be enjoyed and buying and selling all the time in order to obsess about it is a sign of failure and something is wrong.

You rarely read of people regretting a pair of Shahinians and that speaks for itself.

So if you want an easy life and also have a good sound, try and blag a listen at a pair of omnidirectionals and you will find it an easy decision.

Regards

Mick

Good advice...bigger speakers may have more bass they won't be as nimble...my mate has AE1 mk2s bi amped with a sub..he has a big room..I can find no fault with them..nimble with bass..what more does anyone want?

In rectangular rooms, the best place for conventional speakers is always firing across the room as far from the corners as possible.

If you tuck any conventional speakers into the corners of a rectangular room and fire down it, they will never sound their best.

I'd either keep what you've got and try some DSP or buy something smaller - I have found large standmounts like the SP2 size seem to be be the least unruly in this application - and get an active sub so you can tune the bass a bit.

Failing that, if you can spare a metre behind them, some ESLs.

I have exactly the same problem and have found Kef 103.2's to work as well as anything, but as a very large sealed box, there isn't much to compare them with. Kef 104.2's, by comparison, were simply way too fruity at low volumes.

@Mick P Or you could be fortunate (lucky) like me and get it right first time around or at least right enough as they tick all my important boxes and I accept there's no such thing as the perfect speaker, they're all pretty much a compromise.
Funnily enough I tried Shahinan speakers and while I don't regret buying or trying then I only kept them for a few months, close but no cigar.

I think speakers are the hardest thing to get right because they interact directly with your room. Which is, coincidentally, the most expensive single component.

if you know you like the Neat sound then it’s a good start to pursue that and see how they work in the new orientation.

I run Shahinian’s and concur with the comments above. If the omnidirectional sound appeals, think sitting within the performance of the music, rather than having the music spread out before you, there is nothing better.

Have you had the conversation about the current Neats and one/two subs? It may be an easy option to try.

happy hunting

advertisement

Back