advertisement

Midgit Gems

Parents with a sweet shop?! My god, that would have been a dream come true. Wait till they went through the back…

It was a general shop, bit of everything, tbh we (3 brothers) didn’t have to ask/hide anything, we just ate what we wanted, but in those days we all were active, none of this PlayStation sat in bedroom all day malarkey, so none of us were overweight.

Wait till they went through the back…

This was the early fifties, and there was an opening between my younger sister's bedroom and mine. It led into next door, which dad used as a store house. We used to creep downstairs after parents were abed and raid the sweet section (it was a newsagent's & grocer too). We then had a midnight feast. How my sister's teeth survived and mine didn't, I'll never know. Believe me, there wasn't much difference between a butcher and a dentist back then. A visit then was literally a gas !

This was the early fifties, and there was an opening between my younger sister's bedroom and mine. It led into next door, which dad used as a store house. We used to creep downstairs after parents were abed and raid the sweet section (it was a newsagent's & grocer too). We then had a midnight feast. How my sister's teeth survived and mine didn't, I'll never know. Believe me, there wasn't much difference between a butcher and a dentist back then. A visit then was literally a gas !
I hope you’ve contacted the accountants and made good the losses?

It was a general shop, bit of everything, tbh we (3 brothers) didn’t have to ask/hide anything, we just ate what we wanted, but in those days we all were active, none of this PlayStation sat in bedroom all day malarkey, so none of us were overweight.

And your teeth ?

My daughter has the same condition as the academic who "campaigned" for this change. It is important to note that the work isn't banned, it is still in the dictionary. All that has happened is that people who are hurt by the way this term is used are asking politely if we would mind consigning it to history. No doubt M and S, having given the issue some thought, have decided to be sensitive and polite despite the marketing damage this will cause them.

Its worth noting with regard to the word "midget" that you would not use it to describe a short statured friend or member of your family. It is reserved for a specific group of people and aims to mark them out as other than "us".

A friend of mine was greatly flattered when her husband, another friend of mine, after many glasses of red wine and some exotic smoking mixture, referred to her midget gems.

advertisement

Back