advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

I've been the custodian of the LS-80s this past week or so, they have now moved on to more rural pastures.

I was quite critical when it came to the LS40's, they certainly didn't match the level of performance I have gotten used to over the years, and definitely not a match for the Cardas cables I currently use but I approached the LS80's with an open mind, however within the first couple of seconds of listening to one of my reference albums (John Smith - Headlong) it was apparent the LS80's where definitely something special.

Throughout a week of listening and switching between my Cardas Golden Cross and a set of Van Damme Hifi cables, one of the main things that struck out from the LS80's is their vast and 'wow' factor sound stage. They really are double decker bus wide in that department. I have heard this type of soundstage before with some speaker cables, but often when this happens there is a reduction in the body of the music to create this, leaving me shortchanged for midrange warmth and body - being a folk music/valve kinda guy, this is a definite no no for me! The LS80's however, don't sacrifice body for expanse so this takes them up there with the masters of cable design, Cardas, as that is a characteristic that George Cardas made possible in his higher end cables...but the LS80's are cheaper than the higher end Cardas in todays values - so that makes them the VW Golf GTI of cables - does everything the big boys can do, at a price that is more affordable, attainable while looking bloody good and commanding respect from those that 'know'.

Where I found the LS40's to be somewhat blurred on the edges, muffled almost at times, none of this was the case with the LS80's - much the opposite, each instrument is defined without hard edges, there is no smearing, no blurring but also no over the top emphasis - it all sounds natural, studio monitor production good. One could feel this may sound a little manufactured, and you could be right, good partnering may be a factor, but with my Prima Luna Evo and an Aqua La Voce S3 DAC, there was a real ambience together that just sounded special and kept me listening for hours constantly popping my head up thinking 'ooo that sounded good'. This is the first cable I have ever been able to do that with since purchasing my Cardas (which make me do that every day!) - normally I spend less than an hour with a new cable as I know pretty much right away they just aren't as good, and therefore I have no further interest. LS80's kept me involved.

My Cardas Golden Cross IC was kept in the chain, which when swapping it out for a Van Damme budget special, became apparent that it was a really nice blend with the LS80's - it brought that big midrange body and warmth, and the LS80's tweaked all the leading edges and almost separated the sound out into layers. Fantastic stuff really. With the VD IC, it was clear the LS80's were not getting the quality of transmission they deserved as ultimately they sounded a little flat and orphaned. I remember reading a review from yesteryear about a few folk matching Cardas Golden Cross IC with Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables - the Golden Reference having less copper and giving a more detailed sound over the warmer Golden Cross - so I feel there is potential that the LS80's are similar in presentation the Golden Reference in what they do - I couldn't borrow a set to try out, so I'll just have to wander forever more!

Overall, I still prefer my Cardas cables, because ultimately I want the most relaxed, warm, cuddly sound - thats just my thing, but very few share that preference and I could not imagine any hifi peep who would be anything but highly impressed by the LS80's and adding them to their Santa list if they could. They bring everything to the party, and leave nothing at home. If you don't already have some top shelf cables, then buy the LS80's - your hifi, ears and heart will appreciate you for doing so, if you do, then demo them, as they may be better than what you have..forget the Townsend, Tellurium, Atlas's of the world, they are no match for the Wonfor art - one thing is for sure, you'll stop the cable journey as there is nothing really to really better them at this price point, and much higher.

The LS-80's are 'all in', not shouty , just the reserved Black Golf GTI in the background, being the best at everything without proclaiming anything.

Top marks @CJ14 and @ABCaudio !

Last edited:
"Flutteringwow"

Thank you for your frank and blunt review.
But now you have set a challenge to be better than Cardas Golden Cross and Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables , well that will give me something to think about. cheers. :)

"Flutteringwow"

Thank you for your frank and blunt review.
But now you have set a challenge to be better than Cardas Golden Cross and Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables , well that will give me something to think about. cheers. :)

Im not sure there is a 'better' Col, they are just different in their presentation - you could design a Golden Cross rival though, as its a known annoyance Cardas didnt replace the GC in their new range, and lots of people miss it...it could be Colins LS-Cuddly Cable :)

I might have to get the LS80s back if I ever get a chance to get hold of a set of the Golden Reference and do a comparison.

I would go as to say on a different setup., I reckon I would prefer the LS80's. I was mightly impressed. Sorry if this didn't come across. i would have bought a set if I didn't already have a top shelf set of cables!

" New name for super cable" "Hugacoustica" or "Warmhart"

Lol

LS-Cuddles

less cuddle, more kiss with a fist! (Edited because I did not intend to cause any offense. My only understanding of this reference is Florence & the Machine song, I am happy to admit I should not have used a potentially offensive term so lightly.)

Hoping to collect the next production run of LS-40/80 raw cable in a week, it's been in manufacture (this is the third stage) for nearly three months now. I am glad, as stocks are getting quite low!

Last edited:
I still want to hear the power cable , I asked to go on that list a fair few times on this thread, I never make it on to post 2 :(

OK, so, I have had the M50 in my system for a week now, so thought I'd post my impressions so far.
For context, my system comprises of a WT Simplex turntable with a xx2 mk2 cartridge, into a DV P75 mk4, a Roksan Caspian M2 CD player, Kenwood KT1050 tuner, Townshend Allegri + pre-amp, Dynavector HX75 power amp, Shahinian Compass speakers, Mogami interconnects and EWA LS20 speaker cable.
Last weekend I spent most of it playing about 3 songs off various vinyl albums, swapping between the Amps, all connected, just a case of power off and swapping speaker cables, power back on!
Initial impression was of it being louder, with a powerful bass underpinning everything, great clarity and more "hi fi" than the DV amp. Bass was a bit too much at first, but I soon realised that I'd played about with my cartridge set up a few weeks before and become a bit boomy. So I re-set the cartridge. Everything became much cleaner and no more "too much bass"!
I did however still think the DV amp sounded "sweeter", but very very close!
Then I played some CD's. That really did put a bigger divide between the two Amps, with the M50 providing a much bigger, fuller, but detailed sound, a really nice soundstage with more depth. I think the Dynavector has the edge on width of soundstage and maybe slightly more holographic, but that again is only on some songs.
Leaving the swapping behind and just leaving the M50 in, I have to say, it has really grown on me and seems to just get better and better the more I listen! The clarity and speed is pretty amazing to my ears and the bass is just there driving things along with real definition and control.
Listening to radio as background music is also proving to be a rather nice experience, as again the low volume detail and clarity is really rather good!
I used to be very much a Naim fan, but the Dynavector kicked that into the weeds with the Shahinians! The EWA M50, seems to now be kicking the Dynavector into touch too!
I am also lining up to listen to one of the pre-production A-40 Amps. Apparently it is even better than the M50, if so, it should be pretty special!
Thank you Alan for allowing us to listen and thank you Colin for "creating" these excellent amplifiers!

In a few month time watch out for the Demo on the new under £1000 integrated tour I hope Alan will be doing.
40W/8R , 80W/4R, DC off set 1uV, MM and MC phono, two RCA Phono Aux inputs and 1 Balance 600R input stage, and stereo, plus Headphone.
Dimension approx. 32mm H X 250mm W X 140mm deep and at 10Kg.
No pics yet, oh it might be bright RED ;)

advertisement

Back