advertisement

what is this, really?

It's probably a (passive) shelving filter with variable cutoff frequency and attenuation.

To disassemble for fun? out of idle curiosity enough to want to take apart? Also - because innards and casework might be useful for summat else -

E.g. you could stick one small, good pot in there and make a nice little single input & output inline passive-pre for ...pennies. No tedious case-making etc.

(Just becasue it might be total crap, doesn't make it useless : ) )

Tone control?
Many years ago now the standing joke between my Dad and myself when hearing a 'cheap-crap' radio was "that's got a good tone"...

It appears to be a low pass filter unit for a subwoofer.

However, given its provenance, it could well just turn out to be a short circuit in a box that will blow up your preamp.

It’s designed mainly for in car use to
Increase the bass of tracks in car audio systems that have been built with bass in mind.

it’s a very basic copy of something called an epicentre.

I think the 'description' is really to attract anyone looking for anything to do with audio (not necessarily hifi!). Clearly, they don't know what it does, or how it works, they are just sellers.

I've bought a few things from these people over the years, and it has been good stuff. But I am now tired of poor (and sometimes downright fraudulent) descriptions of Chinese goods.

If something real is almost as cheap as the postage then it got to be a bargain. Innit?

If something real is almost as cheap as the postage then it got to be a bargain. Innit?

Years ago I bought two bike light holders direct from China. A kind of rubber figure of eight with a bolt you could tighten up to fix a small torch onto your handelbars. I got two of them for £1, delivered! I still have no idea how it is possible. You've got the two products, a jiffy bag, postage and a profit in there somewhere. Just...how? It would have cost me that just to post the packet within the UK. So how could they post it from China, for less?

Cannot get my head round it.

Years ago I bought two bike light holders direct from China. A kind of rubber figure of eight with a bolt you could tighten up to fix a small torch onto your handelbars. I got two of them for £1, delivered! I still have no idea how it is possible. You've got the two products, a jiffy bag, postage and a profit in there somewhere. Just...how? It would have cost me that just to post the packet within the UK. So how could they post it from China, for less?

Cannot get my head round it.
Subsidised shipping.

The Chinese government want to show you how expensive capitalism is? Since the gloves have come off sending stuff halfway around the world has become painfully realistic.

advertisement

Back