advertisement

Top three alternate action movies?

good choices.

Crimewave (1985) is a long time house favourite that we love. Worth noting that it is directed by Sam Raimi. He also co-wrote it with the Cohen bros. The kids and I still quote the film to each other.
Watched it again earlier this year. Must have seen it over 30 times.:):):)

Must dig out the Rumble Fish soundtrack, not played that for a while.
"We Kill All Sizes" :)
Another that should be in there is the original (John Carpenter) Assault on Precinct 13

Solaris (Tarkovsky’s inaction alternative)
Howard’s End was the one I thought of as an alternative to an action movie.*

*To quote Alexei Sayle “I got a video game for Christmas based on the film Howard’s End. You press a button and nothing happens.”

All Time
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
The Omen

From the modern age
The Babadook
It Follows
The Witch (not really horrific but strangely unsettling)

The old Universal Pictures studio made a ton of great horrors
Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein

As is plainly obvious I read the OP's thread as Horror films. I'm a numpty!

I think we really need to understand what alternate means in this context, I would say Terminator and Predator for instance are very much main stream.
Terminator is very much a mainstream franchise, but the original was pretty low budget and had low expectations and mixed reviews.

Terminator is very much a mainstream franchise, but the original was pretty low budget and had low expectations and mixed reviews.

agreed.

The Terminator (1984) is wonderfully raw and has little of the gloss of Blade Runner (1982)

Classified as an ‘18’ certificate and featuring a soundtrack that dates the film somewhat, it reeks of Cult film within 5 minutes.

Notable is the general lack of humour that begins to feature in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (rating 15) and increasingly the following Terminator films.

I watched the first 3 Terminator films recently (DvD) - T2 is a class film.

It would have been interesting to see The Terminator directed by Paul Verhoeven and the classification stay at ‘18’

Ghost Dog, way of the samurai

I have a quite an affection for this film; Forest Whittaker excels (no surprise there); there are several superb performances in support ( amongst others - Isaach De Bankolé as his best friend, even though they don't understand each others language; Cliff Gorman as the aging mafia under-boss, who finds a sense of renewal/ recaptured youth through expounding-on and freestylin' Flava-Flav... and a heckuva soundtrack.) It's nicely made, well-paced & edited, and utterly (i) subverts the concept of Mafia as 'men of honour'; and (ii) transcends what on paper appears a daft premise.

The Raid (and the sequel ‘The Raid Redemption’) - The director, Gareth Evans, went on to produce (and directed a couple of episodes) of the Sky/HBO Max crime drama Gangs of London.

Die Hard - it’s also a great Christmas film

Robocop - and pretty much any Paul Verhoeven directed action film including Total Recall and Starship Troopers. Incredible scenes of mayhem.

advertisement

Back