advertisement

Russell K Red 150 Se loudspeakers

davenrk

hi, did anyone heard them?
how do they sound compared to classical british manufacturers? (spendor, graham)
thanks

hifipig.com/russell-k-red-150se-loudspeakers/

I've heard them
I've also owned (for several years) the 100s

I loved the 150se when Ive listened to them on a few occasions
They are a very accurate and revealing speaker
The bass is not over bearing ...but you might want more if your that way inclined
However... you could not want more mid or treble clarify

Ps
They do sound similar to the kudos s20a I currently own

I've heard them

The bass is not over bearing ...but you might want more if your that way inclined

Ps
do you listen russell k red 50?

Russell K are not know for thumping bass
If you need that...I'd suggest looking elsewhere

They are however know for clarity and accuracy...if that's your thing....look no further!!!

The one thing that kinda made me wonder was the whole commitment to empty boxes with no stuffing or resonance control. Always struck me as a bit odd, but since there are no NA dealers, I never heard 'em.

I've heard them

Any comparison direct or indirect with Spendor or Graham?

I've heard them

Ps

Very interesting you think the 150 sound similar to Kudos, never really taken with Kudos, especially their top of the range ones, far to forward and fatiguing for me, but heard the 100' with an Audion valve amp and was very impressed, maybe it is because Kudos always seem to get dem'ed with Naim. Interesting the 150's are pictured with an EAR amplifier, you can see it better on the home page but the photos keep changing RED 150 - Russell K. (russell-k.com)

The one thing that kinda made me wonder was the whole commitment to empty boxes with no stuffing or resonance control. Always struck me as a bit odd, but since there are no NA dealers, I never heard 'em.
I think that's a slight oversimplification of the design approach. Resonances are taken care of with bracing, and careful choice of materials and internal structure. It's true that they don't use stuffing, but I had a pair of Red 150 for several years, and I never felt as though the cabinet intruded into the sound. They had a lovely free and easy presentation. I'd expect the Red 150Se to be even better but I've not heard the difference. Russell is quite certain they are noticeably better, and I trust his perception but I have no personal observations to share with the OP.

The se is a step up

And don't forget Russell has moved the cabinet making operation to the UK now for better control over quantity

Personal...I could not fault the previous Poland made cabinets... especially in piano black

Very interesting you think the 150 sound similar to Kudos, never really taken with Kudos, especially their top of the range ones, far to forward and fatiguing for me, but heard the 100' with an Audion valve amp and was very impressed, maybe it is because Kudos always seem to get dem'ed with Naim. Interesting the 150's are pictured with an EAR amplifier, you can see it better on the home page but the photos keep changing RED 150 - Russell K. (russell-k.com)

Interesting - I'm the current owner of Steve's 150's and would say the Russell K's are anything but forward and fatiguing - quite the opposite in fact - certainly compared to my Epos's.

I'm also surprised by the other descriptions of them being revealing and high clarity, I've found them a quite laid back and easy going sound myself - maybe a bit too laid back for my tastes if I'm honest. Bass is also very full on the 150's I've found - more so in the mid/upper bass, though it's not the punchiest.
Where they are very good is with voices which have a very natural presentation and piano in particular is very realistic tonally and musically. Saxophone and trumpet also sound very realistic but without any harshness - great with Miles Davis!
I've not heard the SE version so no idea how they compare.

Yes piano (which I love in songs) is really well presented by RK
Not sure "laid back" is a description I've ever heard used in association with Russell K though !!

Interesting - I'm the current owner of Steve's 150's and would say the Russell K's are anything but forward and fatiguing - quite the opposite in fact - certainly compared to my Epos's.

I'm also surprised by the other descriptions of them being revealing and high clarity, I've found them a quite laid back and easy going sound myself - maybe a bit too laid back for my tastes if I'm honest. Bass is also very full on the 150's I've found - more so in the mid/upper bass, though it's not the punchiest.
Where they are very good is with voices which have a very natural presentation and piano in particular is very realistic tonally and musically. Saxophone and trumpet also sound very realistic but without any harshness - great with Miles Davis!
Hi Stuart, your thoughts are interesting. One thing that occurs to me is that the Red 150s really responded positively to being isolated from the floor. That did tighten up the bass quite significantly. I used a MusicWorks product, a sort of trivet made of PEEK. Does a similar job to the Townsend speaker bars. If you're using them on the regular spikes, it may be worth experimenting. PM me if you'd like a chat.

advertisement

Back