advertisement

Naim December price hike

I think they are trying to make it a luxury brand but I don’t think it’s quite there really.
The strong niche they built for the brand a few decades ago must have declined substantially as mainstream interest in premium home audio has declined. They now seem to be split between premium consumer audio and holding onto what remains of the home audiophile market. It is hard to see the latter doing anything other than continuing to decline. Premium consumer audio hasn't looked that healthy either over the last decade or so if one looks to a company like B&0 which I would expect to be in a better position than Naim in having a stronger brand, international standing, history, R&D and manufacturing capability, etc...

So I looked for some evidence on the web and Naim have been doing rather well over the last 10 years. Which I guess underlines how little I know about the sales and marketing side of things! Does anyone know why?

The strong niche they built for the brand a few decades ago must have declined substantially as mainstream interest in premium home audio has declined. They now seem to be split between premium consumer audio and holding onto what remains of the home audiophile market. It is hard to see the latter doing anything other than continuing to decline. Premium consumer audio hasn't looked that healthy either over the last decade or so if one looks to a company like B&0 which I would expect to be in a better position than Naim in having a stronger brand, international standing, history, R&D and manufacturing capability, etc...

So I looked for some evidence on the web and Naim have been doing rather well over the last 10 years. Which I guess underlines how little I know about the sales and marketing side of things! Does anyone know why?
I think they still have a healthy following.

What’s the reaction in the Naim echo chamber?

Now with extra brainwash for sheeps.

Another editor is in for preaching the marketing bullocks that Focal's is the seven'th wonder.

Other posters just recommend ignoring price hikes, after all investors need a continuing profit share.

Not a place for free speech, inappropriate opinions or anything like that.

Very interesting comment.

Do you think the global chip shortage will impact on dac - streaming components with regard to sales prices ?

Yes. As "Mr Pig" says, it is likely to effect everything, plus it will take a few years for it to settle down. That is assuming the epidemic also settles down to worldwide manageable levels.

Now with extra brainwash for sheeps.

Another editor is in for preaching the marketing bullocks that Focal's is the seven'th wonder.

Other posters just recommend ignoring price hikes, after all investors need a continuing profit share.

Not a place for free speech, inappropriate opinions or anything like that.
No longer being a Naim owner (well, still got the speakers & their cabling) I don't look at the Naim forum any more, but I've just looked at the price rise topic on there and the discussion is similar to this one, so perhaps I've missed something?

Time will tell if the market will accept these levels of price increase. If not, then Naim will be in bother & I reckon they'll just dump the 500 series stuff. We just don't know enough about their sales figures to do any more than guess though.

……as young engineers some 50 years ago….

A period of my life that I’d rather forget…….although I did get to see a launch, even if the LTV Scout was just a “mere firework” compared with the modern launchers!

Unlike cost, value is subjective. I happen to like Omega Seamaster more than Rolex Subs, so that's a cost and value win-win for me.

The other thing that strikes me about premium products is cost subsidisation. The margin on the lowest end tend to be much slimmer than TOTL models. So those with pockets lined for 500-series and Statement products are helping to pay for entry products. In some cases, not necessarily Naim, those may be loss leaders. Airlines do this with different classes of travel. It doesn't really cost them 10X as much to ferry a first class passenger than the cheapest cattle class pleb. They just like you to think you're worth 10X as much, and you are ... to them.

That's the nature of sales and marketing.

Like tha Audi dealer said to us, they pay because they can. They will even pay for the excessive prices for services and corrections due to lack of reliability because they can. Vorsprung…..

So I thought I'd have a quick look on the green forum (after others comments up thread)
First time I've bothered to in months

Well there not happy are they!!
A lot of negative comments and disgruntled bunny's there.
Best comment I thought was "this should be moved to the jokes thread"
Many talking about jumping ship or dreams of upgrades being shattered.

Ohh we'll never mind...maybe my NDS will rocket in price (the ND555 is not THAT much better!!)

So I thought I'd have a quick look on the green forum (after others comments up thread)
First time I've bothered to in months

Well there not happy are they!!
A lot of negative comments and disgruntled bunny's there.
Best comment I thought was "this should be moved to the jokes thread"
Many talking about jumping ship or dreams of upgrades being shattered.

There’s the usual bunch of (a) complainants, (b) sycophantic apologists, (c) corporate excuses, and (d) willie-waving “Glad I got the order in for my new ND555/555PSDRx2”.

In other words business as usual

I laughed at the “dreams being shattered” posts.
We’ve even had the “What would Julian have thunk?” post…….

advertisement

Back