advertisement

Naim December price hike

OMG - £25k for a NAP500. How much was it before??

I do remember it at around the 10K mark shortly after debut (22/23 years ago?). However, for each price hike, the VAT increases, and at 25K, around 5K will be tax, Now 5K tax money would buy me a good alternative to the 500; slightly soiled, maybe, but there y' go !

Yawn. Same old same old. Veblen goods will do this. Rolex have done it with watches for 25 years to great success. Same product, 10% a year, artificially restrict supply, demand through the roof.

Naim aren't interested in audio istas any more than Rolex care about horologists.
All true, but it still amazes me that people will pay those prices for a load of old tat.

Ask the average 21 year old about Naim and they will look at you blankly. What is aspirational about a Naim system, you cannot show it off at an event.

Ask the average 21 year old about Naim and they will look at you blankly. What is aspirational about a Naim system, you cannot show it off at an event.

Ask a 21 year old about most Hifi or Hifi products and they will stare at you blankly, however they are more likely to know Naim due to the Muso and QB...but those prices are really getting out of control..Shame really.

Yeah, you'll probably find neither the Rolex or Naim wouldn't be half as popular if it weren't for the prices:rolleyes: @MikeMA
I'm filtering through all the negatives in that sentence to make sense of it, but paradoxically these brands are sought after *because* of the high prices. That really is the appeal. Shoes, handbags, all the same. I think that there was a $1M handbag a year or so ago, sold in Dubai to an eager punter. You know the Rolex price story, don't you? Story goes that 20 years ago or so they were struggling to meet demand, so they raised prices on items that were already luxury goods with prices to match, hoping to slow down sales and catch up on stock.. The demand went UP.

Enthusiast s are not the target audience for the top of the shop brands. Cyclists will know Pinarello. Top brand, top quality, top prices. They are the team bike of a couple of pro teams. Obviously they must be steeped in cycling then. No? No. Owned by that we'll known cycling dynasty LVMH. That's Louis Vuitton (handbags) Moet (Champagne) Hennessey (brandy). Bikes? They don't care.

So they've dropped all separates below the 282/250DR?

Yes, I noticed that too. It looks like the NAC 202 and NAP 200DR are gone with the wind. I'm not too sure if it's official though.

It appears that the NAC 282, NAP 250 DR and Hicap DR have gone up by £300, £200 and £100 respectively from 2019 or 2020 prices. Looking good. They now have a combined cost of £11,197. It won't be long before they hit £12k. When I bought these about 4 years ago, they still cost below £10k back then.

Enthusiast s are not the target audience for the top of the shop brands.

That's fine. If someone says 'I'm a tosser and just want to buy really expensive stuff' that's fine but I get fed up with Naim buyers try to justify the prices and value. Buy it, enjoy it but shut the feck up.

Are they trying to justify it?

All we have heard so far is "too expensive for enthusiasts"

As an aside...if the previous "lower range" products have now been dropped, then the message Naim seem to be trying to portray is ...we are a premium brand and our basic prices start at five figures

Linn have been extremely astute with marketing and lifting their wares into boutique type market. They have the benefit of having a quality heritage as their brand spine. Alongside that they jumped early into streaming, securing the high end niche. They also seem to have seen off various other competitors, including Devialet etc.There is credibility in this. Whether they are worth it is a moot point. People will pay what they wish to pay. I think Naim, with perhaps some justification, feel they should be in the same location. After all, they were partners with Linn for a while in those classic flat earth combinations. The problem is that the look of the product, the engineering, the modular aspects and the fact that that most of their gear is more mid end means they struggle to punch through the ceiling above. They do, of course, have higher end gear and it’s likely very good. But having heard a few of their streaming products, although good, they simply weren't exceptional in any way.Couple to that the fairly pedestrian software and some historic network issues and it’s difficult for most listeners to see the product in the same league as Linn. Linn have managed to make products that are now coveted and have an Apple like vibe. Despite owning and enjoying Naim in the past, I just don’t believe it is worth the price that they ask.

advertisement

Back