advertisement

Naim December price hike

Naim used to put their prices up annually in April, and it doesn't really matter what they put them up to, because new purchasers must see v.f.m. or they wouldn't buy. Existing owners have a slightly increased floor on their resale values, albeit diminishing with age/model. Dealers might get increased sales to beat the rise, but offer a discount thereafter anyway.

Fundamental principle is that Naim sell worldwide, and currency etc. fluctuation could easily nullify their U.K. increases, and Naim wish to stay profitable, so presumably don't just try their luck. Far too much competition.

PS Wouldn't this be more apposite to the Audio section ?

Last edited:
Naim used to put their prices up annually in April, and it doesn't really matter what they put them up to, because new purchasers must see v.f.m. or they wouldn't buy. Existing owners have a slightly increased floor on their resale values, albeit diminishing with age/model. Dealers might get increased sales to beat the rise, but offer a discount thereafter anyway.

Fundamental principle is that Naim sell worldwide, and currency etc. fluctuation could easily nullify their U.K. increases, and Naim wish to stay profitable, so presumably don't just try their luck. Far too much competition.

PS Wouldn't this is more apposite to the Audio section ?
New purchasers dont need to see vfm, that's the point of branded luxury goods. Nobody ever bought a Chanel jacket for value.

New purchasers dont need to see vfm, that's the point of branded luxury goods. Nobody ever bought a Chanel jacket for value.

True, but at least they'd expect it to keep them warm. I'd better leave it at that for safety's sake. I've mislaid my tin helmet. :rolleyes:

True, but at least they'd expect it to keep them warm. I'd better leave it at that for safety's sake. I've mislaid my tin helmet. :rolleyes:
A Naim hifi plays music, a Chanel jacket keeps you warm, a Rolex tells the time. But that's not why the manufacturers want you to buy them. "It's all about the music" is self delusion just as asinine as pretending that an expensive watch is about telling the time.

I guess all luxury brands have once produced something awesome that got them to be what they are - a brand. To me a shameless example is Le Creuset casseroles, well painted chunks of cast iron sold for prices that have increased fourfold in twenty years. People are ready to pay for such things only to exhibit them in their kitchen so all their fake friends can see how well they have done in life, not for me thanks but for others it’s apparently important.

P.S. that orange-red colour is gorgeous indeed, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Le Creuset success story was more or less entirely built on it.

P.P.S. I own and occasionally use some Naim too…

But do people who own Naim (me included) buy it because it's a statement of how much they can afford??
I don't think I did (do) ?
99% of my friends wouldn't have a clue as to how much a few black box's cost
And those that do...have expensive Hifi of their own ( and as is the way... always think it sounds better than anyone elses including mine)

It's just about milking the punter for all he's worth
If it's a football fan ..it's the season ticket
If it's a golfer...it's the green fees.
If it's a sports car owner...it's the parts and service costs

As mentioned above..it's about what the manufacturer can get away with

A Naim hifi plays music, a Chanel jacket keeps you warm, a Rolex tells the time. But that's not why the manufacturers want you to buy them. "It's all about the music" is self delusion just as asinine as pretending that an expensive watch is about telling the time.
I agree. For me it's about knowing myself. I long ago decided that there was a right balance between enjoying good equipment and enjoying good music, mostly encapsulated in the motto I adopted: "sound matters but music matters more."

And I also own a few expensive wristwatches - because they please me. I feel no need to believe in any spurious technical reasons to justify ownership.

Yawn. Same old same old. Veblen goods will do this. Rolex have done it with watches for 25 years to great success. Same product, 10% a year, artificially restrict supply, demand through the roof.

Naim aren't interested in audio istas any more than Rolex care about horologists.

To be fair Rolex is a not for profit organisation focussed on charitable causes and training Swiss watchmakers. I think that justifies an extraordinarily successful marketing strategy.

As for Naim.....

.....on charitable causes....

As for Naim.....

Let's be charitable here (;)). Assuming Naim pays homage to HMRC, their tax is helping the U.K.'s financial black hole.

Whereas I wouldn't for a moment denigrate the pleasure I've had with 25 years of Naim, I cannot see the remotest possibility of reverting. One moves on, and, subjectively, up.

Why the shoddy paper? Surely this should be engraved on a tablet of marble? If you are going charge prices like this they should at least be beautifully presented?

advertisement

Back