advertisement

New Klimax LP12

I just looked...the Technics SL-1200 is only £3.5k. Fit and forget. :D
Unfortunately it is a very ugly turntable which I couldn’t have in the house. I am not going to have a Klimax LP12 either. The saving grace of the LP12 is that you can spec it as you like or not bother at all & buy an SME or a Rega.

Choice eh, utterly evil concept;)

I think they look superb. But praise be for choice. Oh...and they even do pitch stability ;)
I’ve never noticed any pitch instability with my LP12, perhaps some are more sensitive to this or they just imagine it? I couldn’t give a stuff to be honest, lots of great ways to listen to music & I don’t consider vinyl as ‘sacred’.

I’ve never noticed any pitch instability with my LP12, perhaps some are more sensitive to this or they just imagine it? I couldn’t give a stuff to be honest, lots of great ways to listen to music & I don’t consider vinyl as ‘sacred’.
Absolutely right. I was making a joke really, about a post upthread. I really enjoyed my LP12 (which when I sold it was very modest by modern standards). It did lots of things very well, but piano and organ music gave the game away. I expect modern iterations have become progressively better at this, however.

Unfortunately it is a very ugly turntable which I couldn’t have in the house. I am not going to have a Klimax LP12 either. The saving grace of the LP12 is that you can spec it as you like or not bother at all & buy an SME or a Rega.

Choice eh, utterly evil concept;)

If you don't like the appearance or the Technics TTs you could always house it in a wooden surround, both Inspire Audio and Audiogold offer these, the disco deck then has the appearance of a more traditional record player, Inspire also offer various other modifications.

Give it a try with the intro of "New Religion" [Duran Duran, Rio, 1982]

A little bit irritated that the marketing ploy of the offer of a free Karousel upgrade with what happened to be roughly the price of the Radikal, just a year or so later is followed by a new improved Radikal-2. If I was of a suspicious mind it could lead me to think it was a way to use up stock of the old version...

That said I'm still glad I did the Karousel/Radikal refit - don't regret it at all and am very happy with the change from my previous Cirkus/Lingo 1 version. A friend who has had an LP12 for over 40 years did his on the strength of what I said I heard and agrees... having gone 100% streaming he is now playing and buying vinyl again...

Just to add I need some serious convincing to cough up more dosh to change my older Radikal for the new one

Last edited:
Absolutely right. I was making a joke really, about a post upthread. I really enjoyed my LP12 (which when I sold it was very modest by modern standards). It did lots of things very well, but piano and organ music gave the game away. I expect modern iterations have become progressively better at this, however.

Yes, I think that one of the things the radikal does very well - there's a lot more "solidity" to the presentation.

If you don't like the appearance or the Technics TTs you could always house it in a wooden surround, both Inspire Audio and Audiogold offer these, the disco deck then has the appearance of a more traditional record player, Inspire also offer various other modifications.
I wont be changing my record player.

It vibrates? And what good is that?
All motors vibrate which degrade performance. Minimizing the effect on the turntable is certainly the goal of the better LP12 power supplies and motors as you go up the range. The Basik, being the most basic, similar to the pre-Valhalla supply.

Apparently they found a way to improve the Radikal 2 motor 11 years after its initial introduction.

“To make things mechanically quieter than ever, an all-new acoustic housing decouples the motor from the deck more effectively.”

Perhaps an improved top plate is next…

having played in the county orchestra with violin and viola I considered that my pitch perception was pretty good and I have never found my lingo 1 lp12 to be anything other than fantastic on organ and piano. cheaper rega's on the other hand always left me cold in this regard so I can hear it.

Rgds
Stuart

I wont be changing my record player.

I wasn't suggesting you should or would but merely if you wanted to the pitch stability a direct drive Technics deck reportedly offers then it's possible to do so while retaining the more traditional look of a wooden surround record player, like a Linn or Thorens.
Fwiw I don't use or own either, tried and liked both but preferred others.

I wasn't suggesting you should or would but merely if you wanted to the pitch stability a direct drive Technics deck reportedly offers then it's possible to do so while retaining the more traditional look of a wooden surround record player, like a Linn or Thorens.
Fwiw I don't use or own either, tried and liked both but preferred others.
I would probably go either down the Garrard or SME route if I was wanting a change.

Anybody have a chance to compare the Mober power supply and bearing to their Linn counterparts?

Anybody have a chance to compare the Mober power supply and bearing to their Linn counterparts?
I have compared Edmunds D.C. offering with the Radikal. I couldn’t tell the difference sonically between them. The Linn version of the motor was noisier than Edmunds, but it didn’t seem to detract sonically (as per usual, my ears, my system blah blah). I used Edmunds inner platter for a while, but when I switched to the Karousel, I sold it on and used the Linn supplied inner. Edmunds seemed very well made. I can’t honestly say that I heard any sonic difference when using it however. I have yet to even handle one of Edmunds bearings, so can’t comment there. I doubt very much that it could improve upon the Karousel, but who knows?

advertisement

Back