advertisement

USB Wall sockets

guydarryl

pfm Member
I am looking at replacing a couple of double switched wall sockets in the living room with ones that also have USB sockets (so many devices which use USB now - bike lights, phones, you name it!).

I was about to order some MK Logic on Amazon and noticed that there are several doubts regarding reliability of MK - shame as I always thought of the brand as excellent.

Any experience/recommendations regarding a good make for this type of socket?

Mods: apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I am looking at replacing a couple of double switched wall sockets in the living room with ones that also have USB sockets (so many devices which use USB now - bike lights, phones, you name it!).

I was about to order some MK Logic on Amazon and noticed that there are several doubts regarding reliability of MK - shame as I always thought of the brand as excellent.

Any experience/recommendations regarding a good make for this type of socket?

Mods: apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum.

MK are good in my experience. There is a new USB 3 version now but very expensive. 'Click' is fashionable. The problem with USB sockets generally is the 'always on' nature of the USB power and if they fail you have to replace the whole plate. A good deep backbox is your friend or it's a very tough squeeze ;)

I installed three MK usb sockets in our house two years ago and they’ve been fine. I use a lot of MK stuff on site and I’ve never had an issue.

Cheers all - seems that the USB hub may be the way to go (not sure about the idea of the "always on" aspect of the built in option).

I use a good brand of 6 way USB charging 'brick'
Anker or RavPower seem to be very good these days.

I've some Anker multi-outlet USB supplies - a couple of their ubiquitous 2 x2.4A/ 5V USB plugtop wallwarts for a start, which have been hammered last 2-3yrs.

I've found those very reliable & cool-running under rated load; electrically pretty 'quiet' even then (having even hooked up a 'scope ...) - and excellent value as such.

I'd happily sim buy again.

Yes we have a simple USB 'plug' shaped adaptor (no idea of the make) that you just plug a USB lead into to charge 'phones etc. Absolutely no problems at all in 2 years. And you can switch it off when not in use.

we had a couple of MK ones in the kitchen - USB bits lasted about 2 years before they stopped working. We didnt both replacing

Probably Gav.

I got a couple of these when the new super king bed we bought obscured part of the sockets on both sides. Rather than move them, this solved the problem and also tidied things up a bit.

advertisement

Back