advertisement

Downsizing

Once sold you can never replace for the same money.... don't rush the decision...

Think very carefully about what goes and what stays, definitely look at a streaming solution. Spotify is reasonably cheap and sufficient for most situations, and if they do go lossless then its a much bigger library to access.

11) Few hundred vinyl records, unfortunately some are NZ pressings I bought to the UK with me, which are not great.

Doesn’t sound like that large of a collection to worry about either way. If you don’t listen to them often enough, get rid of them and go streaming. There’s lots of music out there beyond the few hundred recordings you own.

Getting rid of physical media is a big step but liberating. You can rip CD’s and there are numerous good quality streaming options.

Sound quality wise, modern digital can be very good and tbh with most recordings since 1990 a good digital copy is competitive with vinyl.

As part of our retirement plans we extended out 5 bed house! The good news we did a massive declutter. We gave some stuff away to various people, including builders, and loads of stuff went to charity shops. My plumber's son got about 200 DVDs. There is so much fraud on Gumtree and eBay, it's just not worth the bother.

Once you get going, decluttering is very liberating.

‘Downsizer’ here. Sold the turntable and the Yamaha NS1000Ms after getting divorced and moving to a flat… Changed kit, forgot about hifi for a bit. I didn’t have a huge vinyl collection. Sold and gave away a lot but kept a few treasures for when I do get a turntable again. I stream now, love the convenience, and don’t really miss vinyl…

Last edited:
Have you missed it all the while it's been away? Have you been hankering after putting a record on, or cutting down with some wine and a bunch of CDs for a session? If not, I'd wager that you might get shot with little remorse. I've maybe 1200 albums and I feel a string sentimental attachment but I rarely put them on - streaming is just so darned convenient. Of the kit you list, the Linn will sell fast (I'd say £1200-1400 for that combo, assuming all works just in need of a service) and the Epos will go quick too (no idea price-wise). I agree that keeping the amps for sentimental reasons might be best. But you might find a Sonos in every room (or equivalent) is fine for your needs and will re-kindle your musical exploration...

I think that the problem with downsizing is that it's often due to a change of circumstances in your life, but the change most often won't last forever and once the equipment has gone, it's gone. Take me, for example, I'm not getting much chance to play vinyl at the moment, but hopefully, this will change, so I'm not about to sell my records or turntables. Streaming had it's part to play, but for me, it will never replace the joy of playing records.

Last edited:
Maybe do a best of best worlds? And just downsize a wee by getting rid off stuff you don't use for now? Even if it's just one or two items for now. It clears up some space and allows you to think properly about the much loved stuff.
I 'downsized' when I moved in with my partner and as soon as we started demoing speakers together we went for even bigger ones that I sold before moving in which most definitely wasn't my plan. Think about it properly, do a bit and keep the special stuff would be my answer.

Thank you everybody for your opinions, covering pretty much every option. You have helped my crystallise my thoughts.

Yes, it is spelt McLaren, and I have 601 / 2 x 901, not 02 series! The 02 series were designed by Bruce Crothers, and came out about 4-5 years after mine.

We are downsizing partly because we no longer have horses, and the old property with stables and so on is a lot of work and expense to keep running. The plan is to buy (or maybe build? ) a retirement property elsewhere, using some of the capital released by the first move. Then when we retire and move, proceeds of temporary property become a nest egg.

I think my short term plan is to do nothing, other than weed out recordings that I will never listen to again (why did I buy a Sting album?), and ditch cassette player and tuner, which were rarely used even when system was set up. Storage is surprisingly expensive - about £200 a month for a room sized space, so in a few years you have paid for the equivalent of a pretty exotic system, but I can wait until we have a specific plan for the retirement property, and know something about size and existence of a man cave - it might be a glorified shed in the garden!

I will keep my amps, as examples, and also likely to be hard to sell. Turntable / arm / vinyl can go into short term storage, and reconsider once retirement property is known.

That sounds like a plan, you know what they say, act in haste and repent at your leisure;) (or something like that)

Thank you everybody for your opinions, covering pretty much every option. You have helped my crystallise my thoughts.

Yes, it is spelt McLaren, and I have 601 / 2 x 901, not 02 series! The 02 series were designed by Bruce Crothers, and came out about 4-5 years after mine.

We are downsizing partly because we no longer have horses, and the old property with stables and so on is a lot of work and expense to keep running. The plan is to buy (or maybe build? ) a retirement property elsewhere, using some of the capital released by the first move. Then when we retire and move, proceeds of temporary property become a nest egg.

I think my short term plan is to do nothing, other than weed out recordings that I will never listen to again (why did I buy a Sting album?), and ditch cassette player and tuner, which were rarely used even when system was set up. Storage is surprisingly expensive - about £200 a month for a room sized space, so in a few years you have paid for the equivalent of a pretty exotic system, but I can wait until we have a specific plan for the retirement property, and know something about size and existence of a man cave - it might be a glorified shed in the garden!

I will keep my amps, as examples, and also likely to be hard to sell. Turntable / arm / vinyl can go into short term storage, and reconsider once retirement property is known.

a friend paying 400 quid a month for a storage unit not that huge , so yes storage is expensive

advertisement

Back