advertisement

Downsizing

PigletsDad

My intelligence test came back negative.
We are just in the process of looking for a smaller house, which we would then sell on when we retire in a few years and move to a different part of the country. As we 30 years worth of stuff, the pressure is on to simplify and save space. I have various audio bits that have been packed away from when we started re-decorating, and wonder if any of them are re-saleable? And I guess the bigger question is what my future listening strategy will be?

1) Linn Valhalla - worked last time it was run pre-decorating, probably needs all rubber parts replacing. Has a Linn arm-mount.
2) Ittok with AT OC-9, relatively low hours of use, but obviously many years old.
2a) Supex 900 with Garrott re-tip, pretty worn last time it was on an arm (any residual value?)
3) Turntable table (can't remember brand name and not on box; relatively lightweight design from Italy).
4) Maclaren amps 602 pre and pair of 902 mono blocks. I designed these for Maclaren in the 80s, and serviced them myself some years ago.
5) Epos ES-14 speakers, earlier version, in very good condition, very slight sun fading of veneer. Foam plugs have some dog bites on.
6) Foundation stands (not the Epos ones), work well with ES14s.
7) Marantz CD-52 Mk 2 SE
8) Aiwa AD-F700 Cassette deck (probably no interest?)
9) Denon TU580RD tuner
10) Home made DAC (not salable, but could form part of digital only system).
11) Few hundred vinyl records, unfortunately some are NZ pressings I bought to the UK with me, which are not great.
12) Few hundred CDs

As I see it, I have a couple of options:
1) Pay to store everything, and hope our retirement property is bigger, and has a man-cave. This only makes sense if cost of storage is less than cost of buying replacements in a few years time.
2) Get rid of vinyl now, and go digital only. Saves quite a bit of space. If I went "virtual" and got rid of CDs, save even more.
3) Get rid of everything now, and buy new when I know what retirement property looks like, and how much hearing and cognition I have left. Do I really want to pay to hear what I thought was cool as a teenager?

Sorry for the length of this post - "I didn't have time to make it shorter".

I'm very much in the "if you're not using it and have no immediate plans to use it...get rid of it" camp
There will be so much more interesting stuff you didn't even know you needed , when you retire
Get shot ASAP!

Be very careful , Not a lot is selling , I tried before my retirement move , Ended up disposing of working gear that had no value , I really can't understand the on line digital thing , You buy a track and it's not yours , Can you sell it on ? err NO you are renting the use of it ( unless things have changed ) Think long and hard , Part of the enjoyment IS the hands on bit , Reading the LP covers enjoying the artwork , I better stop now :D

I reckon the Linn stuff is relatively easily sellable; the other stuff less so. If it’s simply a case of needing more space/less stuff then I’d get shot of anything not being used as long ahead of moving as possible. It took my sister-in-law the best part of a year to clear her house of excessive clobber ahead of a move to a flat, and even then some things went into storage and are still there five years later.

It’s a problem I’ll need to deal with before too long. For me, the big problem will be books.

I reckon the Linn stuff is relatively easily sellable; the other stuff less so. If it’s simply a case of needing more space/less stuff then I’d get shot of anything not being used as long ahead of moving as possible. It took my sister-in-law the best part of a year to clear her house of excessive clobber ahead of a move to a flat, and even then some things went into storage and are still there five years later.

It’s a problem I’ll need to deal with before too long. For me, the big problem will be books.

I have lots of book as well , currently looking for 2 x 6ft book cases

We’ve got three of the buggers in this room, full to the brim and overflowing, another one next door, three upstairs and stacks of books where you’d least expect them. But our older daughter has finally got a place of her own, so some of them will go soon, along with several hundred NuMetal CDs and a wardrobe full of hoodies.

We’ve got three of the buggers in this room, full to the brim and overflowing, another one next door, three upstairs and stacks of books where you’d least expect them. But our older daughter has finally got a place of her own, so some of them will go soon, along with several hundred NuMetal CDs and a wardrobe full of hoodies.

OK You win :D

I can't comment as still need a place big enough for my kids to stay for a few years yet.
But what I really regret was selling my stuff when the ex wife moved in and we had kids. Wish I had put them in storage.

Came back to this about 17 years later and struggled to get anything like that system for sensible money.

Money aside things like mint Epos es11 are just not there any more. The 72/140/hicap was eye watering and simply put the silly money the 140 was making I got a 180 cheaper. Thing I do miss was my Avondale modified arcam alpha5 cd.

Point I am making is at the time i thought no problem pick it up again when kids are older etc.

If you value your kit don't get rid of it unless you really want to has been my experience

Be very careful , Not a lot is selling , I tried before my retirement move , Ended up disposing of working gear that had no value , I really can't understand the on line digital thing , You buy a track and it's not yours , Can you sell it on ? err NO you are renting the use of it ( unless things have changed ) Think long and hard , Part of the enjoyment IS the hands on bit , Reading the LP covers enjoying the artwork , I better stop now :D

very true , there are two frugalhorn speakers in classifieds , one for almost the price of a tank of petrol and they dont sell . so much kit and so little money !!

We are just in the process of looking for a smaller house, which we would then sell on when we retire in a few years and move to a different part of the country. ............".
Why not stay where you are until you are about to retire then buy your retirement home?

Use the time between to downsize possessions.

advertisement

Back