advertisement

Suggestions for affordable battleship CD players?

JimmyB

pfm Member
In a position where I can't get to my Rega Jupiter or Rotel RCD991 so thinking I may see if there's a classic Japanese CD player worth buying. One of those with regulators liberally strewn about and solid mechanism.

Sony would normally to be go to but they seem difficult to get and the numbering is doing my head in. Other would be a Revox B226 to match my other amp (which I'll eventually get my hands on) but Brexit makes it harder.

Any sleepers out there?

I think I might need a cheap streamer as well (need to research these things) but this is a sort of want for the front end of what is going to be a 'classic' system.

The less the box count the better unless I can get the big Marantz 2 box for a couple of hundred (ha ha).

I can vouch for Denon's DCD 1520. Dual Burr-Brown PCM64P and Sony KSS-151a mechanism. Can be had for maybe £100-150. That's at the bottom of the battleship chain, so of course you can move up (eg DCD 3520) for more money. Replacement transports may be an issue. ~£200 for refurbished (?) units out of China.

Yes, Mike P will be the recipient of any bucket cases I buy! I try to keep a watch on what he has but only just come into the market. If I could get one of those Sonys that would be great but think they're a bit scarce just now (and like I say, that numbering system makes me nervous that I'm not buying what I think i am)

Of course I looked but unfortunately I'm in Edinburgh! That's probably a key point for getting something...needs to be close or shippable.

Cheers, I'll maybe keep my eye out and make sure through your superior knowledge.

I think there's a thread somewhere on here about these Sony's so I'm off to find it and then read up about how to create drinking water from non-potable spring water.

Of course I looked but unfortunately I'm in Edinburgh! That's probably a key point for getting something...needs to be close or shippable.

Dunno if it’s battleship but I have a Marantz CD50SE here. CDM4 mech and TDA1515A. Lots of scope for fettling.

Just serviced too.

advertisement

Back