advertisement

Probably a daft question but...

Funk

pfm Member
...are speaker spikes a universal fitment?

I've bought a pair of Kef Ref 3.2s which are on their adjustable feet but they look like they will unscrew fully and spikes could be fitted? Mine are on carpet with concrete underneath and I like the extra stability the spikes have given to my A3s so would like to do the same with the 3.2s.

It then occurred to me that spikes might not all be interchangeable and I'd rather not faff about taking the ones off the A3s just yet in case the 3.2s aren't the ones that stay..! I'm going to get some ordered from somewhere if they're all the same.

Cool, thanks chaps - as it could be one of two options then I'll do as linnfomaniac suggests and measure the thread from one of the Kefs.

Unless you can hear an audible difference, I sometimes put M8 or M6 castors on large speakers so they are mobile.
I got that idea from the original B&W 801s that had built in castors.

To my mind, if you've got carpet & underlay over concrete then spikes are ideal. Bit surprised your speakers take the thin M6 but maybe they're not that big.

Unless you can hear an audible difference, I sometimes put M8 or M6 castors on large speakers so they are mobile.
I got that idea from the original B&W 801s that had built in castors.
Since our lounge remodelling and new wood effect floor, I've fitted small casters (M8 fitting) to my Turnberry SEs. Doesn't negatively affect the sound, but is so much more practical. I can move them into an optimum position for listening and then out of the way when not.

Since our lounge remodelling and new wood effect floor, I've fitted small casters (M8 fitting) to my Turnberry SEs. Doesn't negatively affect the sound, but is so much more practical. I can move them into an optimum position for listening and then out of the way when not.
I can definitely see the appeal on big speakers like your Tannoys… the KEFs in question are tall, slim floorstanders and would be more inclined to topple on castors… spikes are the way forward for them.

I just put my big Yamahas on castors and they both sound brilliant and I can move them soooooo easily! I’m a convert!

In fact I also put my hifi racks on castors too, and it’s just so much easier.. BUT I did have to buy some heavier duty castors to replace the double sided ones I bought originally.. too many transformers and a couple of raised boards broke a pair of wheels… my stands are tripods with only one wheel at the back so I’m not surprised.. but again, thoroughly recommended!

In fact I also put my hifi racks on castors too, and it’s just so much easier..
I’ve had castors on my rack for years.

I s'pose that would have been an easier option when I got rid of my half a dozen wall shelves. However, my many pieces of kit were on a complete mishmash of wall shelves, speaker stands (converted to valved amps). 2 Target tables and other bits so I decided to construct a three shelf 18mm ply multi-kit support, fix it to the wall at one end and bring it forward by sufficient to get behind. Only the record player is now on a tripod Target table in line with my shelving. As I have lights and power cables behind as well, it doesn't look like a rats' nest from the front.

The frequency of my accessing and transposing I/Cs between all the pieces would mean me pulling tables on castors out every week; that would be a real drag !:oops:)

I’m with cappuccino, get some wood or marble chopping blocks and sit speakers on those, you can easily slide them on carpet. I’ve used Lv obx rw his way and preferred to spikes.

advertisement

Back