advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Note - Wish List

rough edges

Sapere Aude
There are seven titles that I would like to see get the "Tone Poet treatment"...

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Like Someone in Love
Grant Green - The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark (double lp)
Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin'
Jimmy Smith - The Sermon
Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack
Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special
Jackie McLean - Bluesnik

Assuming that the master tapes are available, what would be on your Tone Poet wish list?

Avoiding those that are on Music Matters or one of the other premium issue labels that I don't have already, but they said they would not reissue then in no particular order:
Herbie Nichols - Herbie Nichols Trio
Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity
Don Cherry - Symphony for Improvisers
Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
Solomon IIori - African HiLife
And if wobblegate hasn't totally stopped Joe Harley issuing more Andrew Hill then
Andrew
Judgement
Compulsion

Bubbling this back up...

I'll second the Ike and based on the TP formula, I'll guess that they go with the material that went unreleased until the 70's / 80's -- With a Song In My Heart, Congo Lament, Easy Living. I wouldn't mind them revisiting the 1500 series (the Burrell was outstanding) either.

My greatest wants, however, aren't in the BN line (even the rarest titles are generally available in some form or another) but in the other jazz labels under the BN / Universal umbrella, particularly Pacific Jazz. Katanga has already been announced for 2021 but there are so many titles that do not have the exposure or readily available reissues from that catalog. I'd also love to see them revisit the Jazz:West label too -- Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers. Lawrence Marable... they'd make amazing TP's.

I don’t know the Blue Note catalogue well enough to make specific suggestions but would welcome some more out stuff - Don Cherry, already mentioned, seems like a good place to start.

What else do BN have in that vein? Might have covered this in the other thread.

I’d opt for that whole later soul-jazz period that is so often overlooked. I’d certainly like to see an emphasis on ‘later than 1965’ as I’m convinced there are many gems in the catalogue that I’ve never even heard of and have never been reissued. Blue Note was way more than a hard-bop label and this is being touched on with titles such as the Duke Pearson’s Phantom, Lou Donaldson’s Mr Shing Aling etc. I’d love to deep dive what the label was doing into the mid-70s really. What was their answer to the fusion of Miles and Herbie Hancock, the soul jazz of CTI etc? I know things like Black Byrd and Ethiopian Knights, but I bet there is way more lurking in there I’d love.

PS When I started buying Tone Poets a few months back I initially set myself a ‘only buy later than 1965 as you’ve already got a ton of great hard-bop’ rule, but it only lasted until I discovered how good they were!

I’d opt for that whole later soul-jazz period that is so often overlooked. I’d certainly like to see an emphasis on ‘later than 1965’ as I’m convinced there are many gems in the catalogue that I’ve never even heard of and have never been reissued. Blue Note was way more than a hard-bop label and this is being touched on with titles such as the Duke Pearson’s Phantom, Lou Donaldson’s Mr Shing Aling etc. I’d love to deep dive what the label was doing into the mid-70s really. What was their answer to the fusion of Miles and Herbie Hancock, the soul jazz of CTI etc? I know things like Black Byrd and Ethiopian Knights, but I bet there is way more lurking in there I’d love.

PS When I started buying Tone Poets a few months back I initially set myself a ‘only buy later than 1965 as you’ve already got a ton of great hard-bop’ rule, but it only lasted until I discovered how good they were!
There are full discographies of Blue Note records including by dated years here:
https://www.jazzdisco.org/blue-note-records/

Bubbling this back up...

I'll second the Ike and based on the TP formula, I'll guess that they go with the material that went unreleased until the 70's / 80's -- With a Song In My Heart, Congo Lament, Easy Living. I wouldn't mind them revisiting the 1500 series (the Burrell was outstanding) either.

My greatest wants, however, aren't in the BN line (even the rarest titles are generally available in some form or another) but in the other jazz labels under the BN / Universal umbrella, particularly Pacific Jazz. Katanga has already been announced for 2021 but there are so many titles that do not have the exposure or readily available reissues from that catalog. I'd also love to see them revisit the Jazz:West label too -- Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers. Lawrence Marable... they'd make amazing TP's.
The discographies for Pacific Jazz are here:
https://www.jazzdisco.org/pacific-jazz-records/
List of their discographies by artist and label here:
https://www.jazzdisco.org

It Might As Well Be Spring - Ike Quebec. A ballads set, and Ike plays low key on this one but his huge, cavernous sound is something else. It’s the kind of sound that can probably only be developed by projecting through a big band for hundreds if not thousands of gigs.

I wish Tone Poet could release some Prestige stuff. I’m thinking Rusty Bryant, Joe Boogaloo Jones, Charles Kynard, Sonny Phillips, Gary Bartz etc. There was an attempt by Jazz Dispensary a few years back, but it seems they took a while to sell and the series appears to have fizzled out.

Last edited:
Agreed, Prestige & Riverside seem sadly overlooked when it comes to nice current reissues. The good thing is the budget OJC reissues of the ‘80s are very decent indeed, quite a few actually being Steve Hoffman mastering. The OJC CDs are very good too.

It Might As Well Be Spring - Ike Quebec. A ballads set, and Ike plays low key on this one but his huge, cavernous sound is something else. It’s the kind of sound that can probably only be developed by projecting through a big band for hundreds if not thousands of gigs.

I wish Tone Poet could release some Prestige stuff. I’m thinking Rusty Bryant, Joe Boogaloo Jones, Charles Kynard, Sonny Clark, Gary Bartz etc. There was an attempt by Jazz Dispensary a few years back, but it seems they took a while to sell and the series appears to have fizzled out.

Different Ownership - Blue Note & Impulse owned by Universal, Prestige & Riverside owned by Concord. Maybe their reissue arm Craft Recordings could be persuaded!

I guess the thing about Prestige and Riverside is nice RVG pressings can still occasionally be found for sensible money. Not so for Blue Note...

A couple of Donald Byrd / Mizell Bros titles I'd love to see reissued as there just aren't cheap used copies - though being a tightwad I'd prefer them as BN Classics :)

Stepping into Tomorrow

Places and Spaces

Agreed, Prestige & Riverside seem sadly overlooked when it comes to nice current reissues. The good thing is the budget OJC reissues of the ‘80s are very decent indeed, quite a few actually being Steve Hoffman mastering. The OJC CDs are very good too.

I have many OJCs on vinyl, and most sound excellent. Thing is, I thought the good ones were George Hardy; most of mine - bought in the 80s - have GH in the run out groove.

I have many OJCs on vinyl, and most sound excellent. Thing is, I thought the good ones were George Hardy; most of mine - bought in the 80s - have GH in the run out groove.

May well be, all I have are very decent, as are the early CDs. Steve Hoffman has said quite a few are his work, way back when he was starting out. No idea which, I suspect it may have been before he was a sufficient name to sign the run-off or whatever. Just the junior house engineer kind of thing.

Different Ownership - Blue Note & Impulse owned by Universal, Prestige & Riverside owned by Concord. Maybe their reissue arm Craft Recordings could be persuaded!

I understand the ownership issue, which is why I said ‘could’ - I know Joe Harley went through this over at Hoffman and LJC a few years back. Some posters over on Hoffman view Prestige as a poor man’s Blue Note or second rate. I don’t see it that way.

Boy, this is a good one!

71PMjllyjTL._SL1200_.jpg

https://store.bluenote.com/products...-bolton-katanga-lp-blue-note-tone-poet-series

Does it have to be vinyl? I’d quite like a comprehensive trawl of the vaults to be released on HQ download or CD. The OJC re-issues from the 80s are generally pretty decent, some varying pressing quality but nothing major.

I bought loads of OJC stuff for around a fiver a go back in the 90s both on vinyl & CD.

I don’t really like these high cost reissues but that is where the market is & at least BN always have great artwork.

Does it have to be vinyl? I’d quite like a comprehensive trawl of the vaults to be released on HQ download or CD. The OJC re-issues from the 80s are generally pretty decent, some varying pressing quality but nothing major.

I bought loads of OJC stuff for around a fiver a go back in the 90s both on vinyl & CD.

I don’t really like these high cost reissues but that is where the market is & at least BN always have great artwork.

The vinyl arrived yesterday from Amazon and I’ve yet to give it a spin. I bought it after listening to it on Spotify and the music was right up my alley. Doing some research on Curtis Amy and seeing how rare the records are and the fact I got it for $25,I couldn’t resist. I listened to a couple more of his albums and really liked them as well.

Interesting tidbit is that he did session work with The Doors and Carole King.

Someday, I need to stop buying physical media as I have so much of it and to be honest, I find my Spotify setup quite musically satisfying.

advertisement

Back