advertisement

Turntable upgrade. Rega P3 to P6 or to Origin Live Aurora/Silver tonearm?

It's a terrific table/arm, and with an Exact it's brilliant. I had one with a Ania, which I was never quite convinced by.

Can you describe the differences between the Exact and the Ania? I've never fancied the Ania but interested in the Ania Pro.

Can you describe the differences between the Exact and the Ania? I've never fancied the Ania but interested in the Ania Pro.

To me, the Exact seemed . . . more a piece and thus more "musical." I could never quite shake the feeling that the Ania was a little too bright and not quite as integrated as the Ania, even if the Exact was not as "transparent" and didn't have as much frequency extension.

Then again, I now have a AT OC9-XML in an Ekos1 and think it's terrific, so what do I know? ;)

To me, the Exact seemed . . . more a piece and thus more "musical." I could never quite shake the feeling that the Ania was a little too bright and not quite as integrated as the Exact

Sounds about right. The Exact is one of the most musical cartridges I've heard, period.

Had a look at the Vertere DG 1 but it might be a bit too costly.

The Origin Live deck with arm is £2,190, to that needs suitable cartridge (of course) and then possible phono stage. I think I can do that for circa £3k.

The Vertere is £2949 at HiFi Gear which is probably too steep for me as a starting price without suitable cartridge and phono stage.

Does look good which is a consideration for me. It goes without saying that I've not heard either deck and I notice that dealers for the Vertere are some distance from me in North Wales (true too of the Origin Live but they offer buy direct and dealer options).

Audioworks in south Manchester have a s/h Vertere in your price range.

Thanks Ptah, that's very helpful.

What phono stage do you use with your P6?
Exposure XM3.

To me, the Exact seemed . . . more a piece and thus more "musical." I could never quite shake the feeling that the Ania was a little too bright and not quite as integrated as the Ania, even if the Exact was not as "transparent" and didn't have as much frequency extension.
But the Ania Pro may resolve these issues as it uses the same stylus profile as the Exact, I believe.

But the Ania Pro may resolve these issues as it uses the same stylus profile as the Exact, I believe.

Yeah, both use Vital profiles I think. A tip which has featured on a lot of cartridges I've liked.

I'm sure the P6 is a great turntable but my only issue with it is that the price is taking you into tidy used LP12 territory.

Yeah, both use Vital profiles I think. A tip which has featured on a lot of cartridges I've liked.

I'm sure the P6 is a great turntable but my only issue with it is that the price is taking you into tidy used LP12 territory.
Is LP12 so much better than Rega?

Rega is faster, more rhythmic, more controlled and drier, a matter of taste.

I have gone P3 - P6 - RP8 - and now RP10.

Phono stage: Fono - now Aria

Cart Dynavector 10x5 - now Apheta2.

My advice is therefore probably obvious!

(I do use an Origin Live Illustrious arm on a Gyro SE and it’s excellent).

Is LP12 so much better than Rega?

In my opinion, yes. A well sorted and decent spec LP12 is better than a Rega.

Generally speaking, all that version would have the same sound signature.

Not really. The lower end Rega turntables don't have the same signature as the top ones and there is so much variation in LP12 build possibilities that there is no way you can say they all sound the same. You could quite justifiably like one and not another.

How many records have you got? It’s easy to get carried away and there are plenty of folk on here happy to spend your money for you :eek:

If you’ve got a planar 3, try the exact and you might decide you don’t need to spend more.

I’ve now got a new planar 3 / Exact (+ groovetracer sub platter I picked up cheap) having been previously up the turntable tree and I really like it. It’s now big bucks to get any meaningful improvement and am instead spending lots on records.

advertisement

Back