advertisement

Solder sucker replacement tips

a.palfreyman

pfm Member
I have one of these:
20211025-093010.jpg

Think it is a copy of the RS micro solder sucker. Struggling to find replacement tips for it. Any tips ;) on where to find them?

I have one of these...that I seldom use as braid works better
But I put a small piece of silicon tube on the end of mine...this makes better contact with the work...and the tip lasts forever

The tube is model aeroplane fuel line

Just buy one of these lovely Japanese Expert pumps (Amazon). They are amazingly well made and use a replaceable flexible silicone tube that doesn’t melt and can really take the heat of the iron. I really can’t recommend this thing enough, it is a game-changer compared to the cheap ones. Just so much better. FWIW I also have a £300 Hakko FR-301 electric desoldering gun, but the little Expert pump is so damn good I only reach for the Hakko on longer jobs, desoldering ICs etc.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Excellent, thanks guys.
Haven't done any aero-modelling now for 25yrs or more but I have some silicone fuel tubing somewhere in the shed. I'll give that a go if I have some that is fine enough bore.
I actually found some nozzles that look about right on ebay (NOS RS ones) but at £20 + post for 5 it would be cheaper to buy a desoldering iron for just over a tenner:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20310976...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Jobsagudun :)
20211025-151051.jpg

Thanks for the tip @Mynamemynaim
Sometimes blocks a little, but creates better suction than ever.
Just completed this off a VERY old TV set:
20211025-151639.jpg

Half of one pad lifted, but if you look closely, there is a black line adjacent to the left half indicating it was like that for years and dirt has accumulated under the lifted copper, shot with a magnifier:
20211025-153241.jpg

Just buy one of these lovely Japanese Expert pumps (Amazon). They are amazingly well made and use a replaceable flexible silicone tube that doesn’t melt and can really take the heat of the iron. I really can’t recommend this thing enough, it is a game-changer compared to the cheap ones. Just so much better.
Be careful with that one. Lacking a guard, it poses a risk of stabbing the user in eye.

I used a unguarded one when repairing crt TVs and had the plunger hit the neck of the tube.
Never broke one lucky.

Pete

I’ve never come close to hitting myself/anything else with the Expert. It is quite compact, maybe smaller than it looks in pictures, but just so effective. Several of the YouTube electronics channels are using them now.

On the subject of CRTs, I remember many years ago Dad opening up the set for some reason (rolling picture or something) and decided to take it outside and use the vacuum to clean out all the dust. As he passed through the door, he took the neck straight off the end of the tube...

advertisement

Back