advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

There has been another update on FB. John is trying to source the clock component itself from a European source since the Chinese clocks' quality is unreliable.

One would think this would have been locked down ages ago, what with the clock being the base upon all this development has been built...

There has been another update on FB. John is trying to source the clock component itself from a European source since the Chinese clocks' quality is unreliable.

Next month: "Unfortunately the only clocks I could find in Europe come from Switzerland, are wooden and go "cuckoo". I didn't read the small print and 50 are arriving next week. I guess I can store them with all those Audiolab mono blocks I have in the garage."

Ma
One would think this would have been locked down ages ago, what with the clock being the base upon all this development has been built...
Maybe several temperature regulated clock oscillators have to work in synchronicity.....that seems over complex to me....but what do I know?

It goes a little something like this:
-------------------------------------------------------
Lakewest Audio
Admin
· Oct 21 ·
Next week I plan to visit a Crystal manufacturer about 250km away here in the Czech Rep.
For the MDAC2 / FDAC design (which will use the same clock block) I need 4 custom crystal frequency's. The Chinese manufactured parts I've currently been working with (at least for a couple of the frequency's I have on hand) are limiting the clock performance ) especially at LF) - and there quality is VERY variable, I've chosen the best out of a batch of about 1000 pcs.... the Quality really REALLY varies... even with these best selected parts they are not that great...
The purpose of the visit with the crystal vendor is to discuss performance options and find out what package they recommend for lowest Phase Nosie etc. and try to convince them to arrange samples for the x4 frequency's...
As the clock performance is so critical, I really need to find a reliable + Affordable source..... I hope that being "Local" they will work with me...

Thanks for the above post, hopefully some progress is being made to towards completion, i'd guess the rest of the DAC board is finished in prototype form and the clock section is the tricky final piece of the jigsaw?

There is of course the Prague Orloj and astronomical clock designed in 1410... see quote from wiki below...

The oldest part of the Orloj, the mechanical clock and astronomical dial, dates back to 1410...

A legend, recounted by Alois Jirásek, has it that the clockmaker Hanuš was blinded on the order of the Prague Councillors so that he could not repeat his work; in turn, he disabled the clock, and no one was able to repair it for the next hundred years.

Does history repeat itself?

You can clearly see third figure from the left, the way most MDAC customers will look by the time the clock is finished.

prague-orloj-01.jpg

There is of course the Prague Orloj and astronomical clock designed in 1410... see quote from wiki below...

The oldest part of the Orloj, the mechanical clock and astronomical dial, dates back to 1410...

A legend, recounted by Alois Jirásek, has it that the clockmaker Hanuš was blinded on the order of the Prague Councillors so that he could not repeat his work; in turn, he disabled the clock, and no one was able to repair it for the next hundred years.

Does history repeat itself?

You can clearly see third figure from the left, the way most MDAC customers will look by the time the clock is finished.

prague-orloj-01.jpg

Maybe, but this is a reliable Chinese clock if he's really stuck. They did invent them first.
8f8b9736e6d22fc2b0fe97240aeb257e.jpg

It goes a little something like this:
-------------------------------------------------------
Lakewest Audio
Admin
· Oct 21 ·
Next week I plan to visit a Crystal manufacturer about 250km away here in the Czech Rep.
For the MDAC2 / FDAC design (which will use the same clock block) I need 4 custom crystal frequency's. The Chinese manufactured parts I've currently been working with (at least for a couple of the frequency's I have on hand) are limiting the clock performance ) especially at LF) - and there quality is VERY variable, I've chosen the best out of a batch of about 1000 pcs.... the Quality really REALLY varies... even with these best selected parts they are not that great...
The purpose of the visit with the crystal vendor is to discuss performance options and find out what package they recommend for lowest Phase Nosie etc. and try to convince them to arrange samples for the x4 frequency's...
As the clock performance is so critical, I really need to find a reliable + Affordable source..... I hope that being "Local" they will work with me...

What?, rather than phone up or have a teams meeting?, there are plenty of crystal suppliers that can provide quality products it’s not like quartz crystals are a new invention. Just an excuse to fanny about wasting time.

Nkd, crystek, laptech, loads do low phase noise clocks. Christ smsl can get-170db out of a none top tier brand part.

He wants x4 frequency... maybe it is something not so common?
He also wants affordable and that makes me cautious. Remember Detox, chinese was not good quality, europeans too expensive. And he even did not told price! Maybe it was not so bad. Or did he? Cannot remember.

advertisement

Back