advertisement

Records more profitable than CDs

I buy a few 2nd hand from Music Magpie or Ebay when I see one I have on LP . or some times special offers from Presto Classical. LPs harder to get now 2nd hand -the Music Exchange in Notting Hill London had a flood and lost all their stock in the basement - that is a lot of stock

Conversations with record dealers show that they're not the ones making much money out of LPs as they're so expensive for them to buy in. Margins are tight. Thankfully record shops battle on.
I've bought far fewer CDs in the last 2/3 years but still occasionally do, mainly jazz and classical. And the occasional rock box set.

Mine arrived scratched to hell, just going through the replacement process now…
Mine was OK, slight damage to the cover but not enough for me to bother replacing. A little bit of surface noise but generally good, no polly liner though. The pure downloads are good value, got ‘black is’ for ‘name your price’.

I buy cd’s all the time…there’s been a resurgence in library / soundtrack type releases recently that I’m currently slightly addicted to.
That said, vinyl has many more…

Does anyone actually buy new CDs these days?

As an aside....I notice new cars mostly don't come with a CD player now?

I do. New and sometimes second hand. If the music is good I will buy the vinyl record too. Having the CD means I can rip it to my music server, as well as my computer for play back in the car(s). Plus the CDs are good to have in the workshop.

Most of the top Japanese cars today still have CD players fitted, as do some German brands like Mercedes Benz, as the manufacturers know how good CDs sound compared to other streamed or MP3 music.

I agree about CD vs MP3 Graham, but in the car?
Obviously I don’t own an expensive German car or a Lexus, and I never will.

I buy vinyl new, cd’s often from Music Magpie and almost always Spotify in the car.

It’s great we have such an amazing choice of vinyl again, but agree some prices are bonkers. I popped into HMV recently, could not believe the selection, but equally could not believe the prices.

I still buy the occasional new CD or box set, mainly classical or contemporary composition that I wouldn’t want on vinyl - such as the recent John Cage Number pieces box set. Some smaller independent labels are understandably not signing up to the major streaming platforms. That’s fine by me, I like to think there is some revenue being returned to the artist and that label makes enough of a return to invest in new projects.

Interestingly the recent Faust box set sold out immediately on CD, mostly from pre-orders, very few copies making it to retailers.

The trouble is I have far too many records and CDs now,that I don’t get a chance to listen to them and appreciate. So I buy less now and listen to stuff I’ve got that I haven’t listened to for years.

I prefer records but I like CDs too and have quite a few albums on both formats, CDs for the car, garage and for Tracy.

I still buy plenty of new CDs.

1. They're often 1/3 of the price of the vinyl - and don't arrive warped, scratched, pressed off centre, with in-fill etc.

2. Lots of modern composition, free improvisation, weird stuff, only ever gets released on CD.

The trouble is I have far too many records and CDs now,that I don’t get a chance to listen to them and appreciate. So I buy less now and listen to stuff I’ve got that I haven’t listened to for years.

Me too. Though I suspect the problem isn't too many records, it's too many hours spent working not listening to records :)

My approach now is to try and figure out if the title in question is going to justify a vinyl release sonically (e.g. Tone Poets, Acoustic Sounds etc), or is such a limited edition its a good investment punt. If not I buy the CD. I spend quite a lot of money on vinyl, but I’m pretty careful with it. I’ve done well over the past few years with a lot that whilst expensive to buy initially has doubled or tripled in value, and very little I couldn’t flip for what I paid.

advertisement

Back