advertisement

What's your Favourite Stew, Casserole or One-Pot Recipe?

How can you have coriander and cilantro when they are the same thing or are you differentiating ground/seeds vs the fresh leaves?

Yes. I chose not to fill the page with the whole recipe and method, but the earlier coriander is in powdered form, incorporated during the cooking and the later is fresh leaves added at the end (and tasting not at all like soap).

Kevin

Thanks

Fresh coriander is my fav herb, no soap taste here

From what I understand the tastes like soap thing is genetic and effects about 20% of people.

Funny thing is we have friends in Cuba and they once made beans and rice without the cilantro for me and it just did not taste right. About half their normal amount is the golden spot for me. Enough to give it that something, but not enough to stand out.

Tin of cock a leekie soup
Onions carrots leaks potatoes and peppers
Add in diced chicken
Stock cube
Top up with water
Simmer for four hours
Add dumplings and cook further
There is a beef version using royal game soup and beef
Fed me through my student days
Eaten with a spoon from the pot

Moroccan chick pea tajine, pulses, dried fruit , lots of cumin, coriander, and harissa , lots of steamed cous cous to soak up the rich stock. A winter fave.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cassoulet. There's not much the French get right (;)), but they have the winner with this.

Ox or pig cheeks make the most fabulous stews and casseroles.

I prefer mine cooked in a stock rather than wine. I find the wine overpowers everything. Eat the stew and drink the wine.

Rolled lamb breast slow cooked on a bed of onions, cooled, sliced thick then fried until the skin is crispy is another of my favourites.

Moroccan chick pea tajine, pulses, dried fruit , lots of cumin, coriander, and harissa , lots of steamed cous cous to soak up the rich stock. A winter fave.

Add chicken and meguez sausage with saffron and a bit of honey to the sauce and you've got a real winner.

Shin beef stew (cooked for around 8 hours) or sausage casserole (tonights tea):

To feed 4 easily (or 2 but with good leftovers) ;)

x12 decent thick sausages (I've gone for x6 Cumberland and x6 Lincolnshire for a change)
1 large carrot
1 large leek
1 large onion
10 fresh sage leaves
x2 large fresh bay leaves
x2 pints of stock (veg and/or chicken ideally)
1 good handful of dried/split red lentils and more for later if needed
2 tablespoons of plain flour
Salt & pepper
Dried oregano

Dice all the veg and then sweat off for 10mins in olive oil & salt and pepper. Finely slice the sage and toss that in for the last few mins; then add the flour at the end, turn off the heat and cost all the veg and cook it off for a min (this thickens the stew). Add the stock and let that bubble away for a minute and then either add to the slow cooker or decent stock-pot

Tear the bay leaves and add as well as the sausages. Add more pepper and pour in the red lentils. Sprinkle a good covering of dried oregano and then stir it all in

Slow cooker - all day / Stock-pot and oven - a good 3 hours at c150ºC

If its getting too thick; add more stock. If it's not thick enough, add more red lentils :)

This is todays just gone into the slow cooker:

last night a quick (< 1 hour) sausage and bean thing

20211025-192558.jpg

Ratatouille

heat oven

Chunky chop aubergine, courgette, onion. Place in large rectangular s/steel tray.

Take outer layer/s off of a whole bulb of garlic, slice very ends off (pointy bit), stick in tray.

Consider roughly chopped celery, and any old squashy tomatoes, add to tray. (I prefer without celery)

Splash contents with olive oil. bit of S & P.
consider light dusting of sweet smoked paprika, dried oregano or even mixed herbs. Not too much.

Cook on highish heat, shake pan every 30 mins. ? 2+ hrs. try to get some scorching, if possible after a few hours stick under very hot grill, caramelise those sugars.

Take off heat. remove garlic, squeeze out cooked garlic and return to pan. Add 2 tins of chopped tomatoes to the pan, add a teaspoon of sugar, stir and stick back in cooling oven.
Forget for a while.

Decant to heavy vessel with lid, add more olive oil, cook for an hour. Add a chunk of butter for a pleasing sheen.
If possible, leave for a day. Refrigerate pan overnight.
Take out as much as required. Eat with toast and tons of butter. Or garlic bread.

or use as a base for something else.

advertisement

Back