advertisement

LP 12 with Lingo 1

VVV

pfm Member
Hello

Hoping to get some advices regarding my system.
Currently, I have a vintage LP12 from 80s (I think) with Lingo 1, Project Evolution 9cc, Orthofon black 2M. Cosmetically, original wood plinth looks great.

Yesterday, Lingo did not powered on at all, not played the system for 2 weeks. Not sure what the problem is, maybe capacitors related?? I contacted a local Linn dealer and he suggested I should consider selling / trade in my vintage LP12 for a small fee and use it to purchase LP12 Majik.

I thought maybe replacing my Lingo 1 to Lingo 4 with motor could be suffice enough to fix and upgrade my existing LP12. Hoping for much improved upgrade.

Is new LP 12 Majik much improved than the old?
Not sure if it really worth the trade in and go for the Majik. I like what I own, but the dealer suggested that upgrade is not worth it.

thanks

He suggested new LP 12 is much better built. With the potential upgrades, including Lingo 4, the total cost maybe more than buying a Majik.
My question is Majik quality is much better ?

There’s been incremental improvements in build and parts of the deck since the 80’s.
Biscuits in the plinth corners, top plate with additional corner bolt.
You will also be getting new platter, springs and grommets along with the
biggest update lately which is the new Karousel bearing.

If its for a small fee I would trade-in for a new one.

Last edited:
He suggested new LP 12 is much better built. With the potential upgrades, including Lingo 4, the total cost maybe more than buying a Majik.
My question is Majik quality is much better ?
Don’t forget to take in to consideration your tone arm, if you have an Ittok LVIII keep the arm, it’s better than the Akito, not sure about the Krane which will be on the latest spec majik lp12, but the Lingo 4 is not included. Look on the Linn website!

Whilst the dealer's advice is probably correct, £3500 is quite a lot to fix a broken power supply if you are happy with your deck. If you like the Lingo I'd just send it to Darren at Class A for a fix and service. After all that time I'm sure it would benefit from an overhaul in any case.

If you are interested in "better" sound anyway, then I'd ask the dealer if you can take your deck in and have a listen to your lp12 vs the new Majik deck. I'd also ask to hear a full Klimax LP12 because that will help you better understand the sonic direction that all of the LP12 upgrades go towards.

The Majik will have the new Karousel bearing, right?

I think the recommendation take your deck in for a comparison is a good one.

I’d get it fixed first. Whatever the Majik is like (and it’s v good IMO) your deck is worth a hell of a lot less in non working condition. It will be a comparatively cheap fix. Once it’s done, you can assess any further system upgrades with no pressure.

Another vote for Darran at Class A to fix the Lingo, he is a great guy and his service is excellent.

http://www.classaaudio.co.uk/Linn.htm

Keep your LP12 and arm, whatever anyone says they have a sound that is hard to beat and has been said the latest versions of LP12 and arms are different to the early models sound wise so best go listen.

https://www.linn.co.uk/uk/turntables/majik-lp12

Given the prices for very good LP12's in the classifieds I would suggest that getting the Lingo fixed is a far better option price wise than spending nearly £3500 and getting a dealer trade in for your LP12, also your arm can take a good selection of cartridges that would be another upgrade at small cost to you.

What figures is the dealer talking for the trade in?
A Lingo 1 to a 4 is an appreciable improvement. Did it!
Darren can repair Ling 1’s. Did my Lingo 1.
IMO the biggest upgrade to the LP12 is the karousel bearing, and I’d aim to get that, whatever other choices you make. Will be present in the latest Majic/Krane LP12, and you’d be advised to audition it before deciding.
I’ve enjoyed the incremental changes i’ve Made to my ‘86 vintage LP12, bringing it up to Akurate spec, and culminating in the Karousel bearing, which was definitely a wow moment

Funny how a Linn dealer's answer is always to buy new stuff?

Yes, the LP12 has been updated but it's incremental. If you were buying a deck I'd say get a recent one but if you already have a good condition, solid deck you're better getting it fixed and upgraded. Unless you're spending huge amounts. I'd get the Lingo fixed.

I purchased my Lingo in 1992 and had it proactively recapped a few years ago. Unlike later versions, the Lingo 1 has larger components which makes it easier to service. I had no plans to “upgrade” the power supply so did the the recap. I suppose I could have waited for it to fail and saved some money but I found someone at the time who could do it so pulled the trigger.

Back then, I listened 95% to vinyl, nowadays it’s more like 20 percent and now could easily live without my turntable while it was being repaired.

As a punter with a faulty power supply your options range from 'repair existing motor' to 'replace motor with new/used' (eg Lingo 4) or 'swap whole lot for new shiny thing'. The price differences between the options are considerable. I think coming at it fresh, the first thing you'd do is put in the Karousel (£750). But thanks to your Lingo 1 failing you need to get the power supply fixed too (cost, ?) or replace it (Lingo 4 is about £1200, used is still almost 4 figures).

I auditioned the Linn Majik Power supply against the Lingo 3 (which you'd have to get used) and Lingo 4 and it doesn't stand up to either. Plus it doesn't play 45's without faffing about (Lingo 4 does).

Say you get a new Lingo 4 and Karousel, that's £2k. That's £1.5k short of a new Majik, but you're getting a power supply that's far, far better than the one on the Majik. You could even throw in a Kore (£800 approx) and still make on the deal, adding a Lingo 4 and a Kore to the basic Majik are each significant improvements (I auditioned it myself).

I don't know what difference the Majik's grommets, platter, springs etc are going to make but if that needs doing you've still got quite a bit of headroom in your cost.

Given you said that you are happy with it as it is (if it worked) and that you haven't used it for a fortnight I think I'd be disinclined to rush out and replace it. Especially as you can make the 3 biggest sound improvements available (Karousel, Lingo 4, Kore) as 'component' upgrades. I'd be looking at them in that order, and also considering the cost of simply fixing your Lingo; you could add in Karousel and/or Kore if you wanted later.

Would it be very expensive to fix the lingo? Surely won't be that much.
I'd get at least a quote for that and if reasonable, get it fixed.

advertisement

Back