advertisement

What are you reading right now?

I guess that has the welcome knock-on effect of making the books really short.
The idea that the earth goes around the sun, not the other way around, was a simple, but revolutionary idea. The knock on effects like how gravity works might produce some very large books. At heart, understanding how the economy actually works is simple, it’s the opposite of what we’ve been taught for the last half century, understanding the knock on effects is not so simple.

Anyone looking for a guru?

Im on my third read of ‘ The Peregrine’ by J.A.Baker. I read it decades ago as a library book. I’m ashamed to say I was so impressed I considered stealing it! But it had been withdrawn by the time of my heist. It went out of print for decades then suddenly got recognised as one of the best natural history writings ever. I like to think I was ahead of the curve once in my life ;)

Private eye....just bought about 900 copies off fb market recently, going back to 1966!

CRMX6882.jpg

Issue 4 of Backwash, the very occasional surf anthology.

A Wallander book. It's not very thrilling but it's better than TV and it occupies me in my hotel room. Anything heavier would be too much like hard work.

Private eye....just bought about 900 copies off fb market recently, going back to 1966!
I don't get private eye. Bits of it used to be amusing, these days it just comes across as superior, sneering, knowing and cynical. Am I missing something?

The best thing I read today was one of those dot matrix panel things put on the side of motorways at road works. This one was on the M20 westbound and read SIGN NOT IN USE. I really hope that was done as a joke - if it was, kudos to the guy that programmed it.

I’m waiting to see a page in a manual that reads ‘This page left blank accidentally’.
Whenever I see ‘this page left blank intentionally’ I always imagine the designer of the form smiling as he regards his handiwork then, as the awful realisation of the paradox dawns, smacking his forehead and shouting ‘DOH!’

Nutshell. Ian McEwan. I don’t always get to the end of his novels but I’m thinking of taking a second bite. He can take ten pages just to get out of bed. It’s a library book taken out before the pandemic. I’m hoping the fines don’t bankrupt me.

I’m waiting to see a page in a manual that reads ‘This page left blank accidentally’.

Why do they lie?, the page isn’t blank it has writing on it, I’m sure a smart philosophy student could get a PhD out of it and hailed as the next Gödel.

advertisement

Back