advertisement

Garrard 401-Suggestions for Tonearm

Interested to hear how that works out, what length are you going to get, doesn't the guy who developed this arm use a 401 as well that should ensure they have good compatibility.
Well I think I’m going to opt for 10.5”, but there is a voice at the back of my head saying 12”.

Now in touch with Acoustand and looking at Magna too, thanks.
I had a quick look online, seemingly the Jelco tonearms use the Linn mounting, 30mm central hole with three fasteners placed at 120degrees around a 48.2mm circumference, should be fairly easy to make a little adapter, though the Acoustand with the sliding base would be handy for setup.

Well I think I’m going to opt for 10.5”, but there is a voice at the back of my head saying 12”.
That's the same length I got with my VPI it's obviously better for inner groove distortion than 9" but I wonder how the 12" would have been.

I had a quick look online, seemingly the Jelco tonearms use the Linn mounting, 30mm central hole with three fasteners placed at 120degrees around a 48.2mm circumference, should be fairly easy to make a little adapter, though the Acoustand with the sliding base would be handy for setup.
Thanks for that!
Hadn’t picked up on the Linn connection so will follow that up. Waiting to hear from the experts in the meantime. Cheers

Quick update on progress…Steve @magna is going to make an Ebony armboard for me. I’ve sent the sme armboard which is round and made a cardboard template after measuring spindle to pivot. Jelco arm is 290mm so the collar will sit off centre with just enough wiggle room for nearest bolt to plinth to be drilled. This will be married with an Ammonite Jelco collar when they’re back in stock. Awaiting imminent news of Koetsu Rosewood Sig. rebuild return from Japan. Another 2-3 weeks anticipated for all components to be in place.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm sure it would do the job OK, did the tonearm not come with it's own mounting template and protractor? My Brinkmann didn't (and it should imho) I bought the DR.FEICKERT which is a good tool if a little pricey.
It came with a paper template and a clear plastic spindle to pivot measuring tool, nothing like a true protractor. I’ve got a few different tools for set up around the house including Audio Origami’s one. Dr F tool looks good, worth considering in the context of pricey carts to get full value of them, optimum set up, optimum sound, I would presume.

It came with a paper template and a clear plastic spindle to pivot measuring tool, nothing like a true protractor. I’ve got a few different tools for set up around the house including Audio Origami’s one. Dr F tool looks good, worth considering in the context of pricey carts to get full value of them, optimum set up, optimum sound, I would presume.

I was always happy enough to use the paper or laminated paper templates and protractors supplied with tonearms but when the Brinkmann came without either I decided to buy a protractor, the Dr.Feickert does the job nicely, it's not the most expensive or the cheapest either but I think it's a pretty good tool that helps with setup process.

I decided to buy a protractor, the Dr.Feickert does the job nicely, it's not the most expensive or the cheapest either but I think it's a pretty good tool that helps with setup process.
Very tempted for the sake of doing the job right, not to mention the learning curve.
With spiralling costs for this project I may wait until I’ve sold off pieces being replaced by components yet to arrive. I’ll keep my eyes open for a used Dr. F in the meantime, a limited opportunity it seems.

To be honest I think in your case it would be an unnecessary expense as Jelco have supplied the tools you need for accurate setup. I only bought the Dr.Feickert as the Brinkmann comes supplied without a template or protractor.
The Hadcock tonearm I have mounted on the other side of my TT was set up with the supplied laminated paper template and protractor, when I checked it with the Dr.Feickert it was spot on. The Dr.Feickert while a nice tool wasn't anymore accurate or faster.
If you were a hifi dealer or had a range of tonearms and cartridges you liked to swap around it would be a valuable tool but for setting up a tonearm and cartridge once it's a bit unnecessary given you already have the tools to do so.

To be honest I think in your case it would be an unnecessary expense as Jelco have supplied the tools you need for accurate setup. I only bought the Dr.Feickert as the Brinkmann comes supplied without a template or protractor.
The Hadcock tonearm I have mounted on the other side of my TT was set up with the supplied laminated paper template and protractor, when I checked it with the Dr.Feickert it was spot on. The Dr.Feickert while a nice tool wasn't anymore accurate or faster.
If you were a hifi dealer or had a range of tonearms and cartridges you liked to swap around it would be a valuable tool but for setting up a tonearm and cartridge once it's a bit unnecessary given you already have the tools to do so.
Very good points Darren.

I found the nice chap at Ammonite (Shuggie?) very helpful when fitting a Jelco to my 401. He sent me details of a downloadable protractor to get the correct set up
I printed these out and then laminated them
Worked a treat

I found the nice chap at Ammonite (Shuggie?) very helpful when fitting a Jelco to my 401. He sent me details of a downloadable protractor to get the correct set up
I printed these out and then laminated them
Worked a treat
12” Jelco? (290mm)

Alas, only the 9”
There wasn’t room for a bigger plinth
The funny thing is, I bought the 401 to make use of an SME 3009 I bought originally in 1975 to go on my TD150
Then, after buying the 401 I couldn’t find it
So had to go out and buy a new arm.
I had always lusted after a 401 since seeing them in a Grattans Catalogue when I was a lad. So hadn’t needed a lot of encouragement.
I had been looking at 401s on That well known auction site while listening to music with a glass of something nourishing and under the influence ended up buying a refurbed ‘black’ 401. Well, at least I don’t have to worry about cadmium plating!
Have to say I hardly play my LP12 now.

Result, we'll need pics @effinity :)
Long time coming but finally able to sit back and enjoy the component parts. Not so visible is the ebony arm board made by Steve at Magna. Lovely in the flesh!

Garrard-401-chopping-plinth-Jelco-Zu-Denon-103-MAIN-PIC-w-perspex-4.png

Garrard-401-chopping-plinth-Jelco-Zu-Denon-103-2.png

Garrard-401-chopping-plinth-Jelco-Zu-Denon-103-1.png

Garrard-401-chopping-plinth-Jelco-Zu-Denon-103-RECORD-ON-5.png

Garrard-401-chopping-plinth-Jelco-Zu-Denon-103-perspex-side-f-3.png

advertisement

Back