advertisement

Has anyone paid more than the asking price?

I once bought a myford lathe on TM that was owned by the seller's father.
It had been looked after really well and the guy threw in a chest of engineer's tools and dozens of tobacco tins of tools and fixtures.
He looked like a kid at christmas when I flicked him a couple of extra notes.

This sort of thing happens with woodworking tools too. I recently picked up a Dewalt Router from an elderly gentleman on ebay. He was really pleased it was going to a good home, dug out extra bits he hadn't listed, and sent the instruction manual as well when he found them. I put a bit of extra money his way. I've a feeling us enthusiasts really want the stuff we care about to carry on being used, so it's more about finding the right home for things, rather than maximising profit. I know, out of touch with the modern world...

I listed a pair of bolt croppers I picked up... on eBay as an auction
As soon as they were listed I had people contacting me wanting a buy it now price
I knew something was amiss
I stopped the listing and googled what I was selling
They were really expensive Swedish cable cutters costing hundreds of pounds
I relisted correctly and got a great price
Some months later I found another set
Strangely I got less than half what I had previously ??

I was going to say no that'd I'd never given more than the asking price but then I remembered I'd bought a NOS cartridge on PFM maybe 2 years ago, the guy was asking a fair bit less than he could of made on ebay so I sent him a little extra, thanked him and told him to have a beer or two on me, generally I wouldn't haggle if it's a fair price but I won't pay over the average either.

I can't remember ever having paid more than asking price and can't imagine I would as long as we are talking Hifi.

I listed (on ebay marketplace) an old hifi rack that was less than perfect and was getting in the way. Offered it for £10. After a couple of false starts a chap messaged and said he would call for it next evening. He turned up, took a good look at it and then said "would you take £30?". I nearly bit his hand off! (well actually I carried it out to his car).

He seemed happy. Wife was astonished.

I paid more than the asking price for a pair of speakers I bought via the local paper. I actually paid less than I originally offered, but £100 more than the guy said that he'd accept. We were both happy with the outcome.

I paid more than the asking price for a pair of speakers I bought via the local paper. I actually paid less than I originally offered, but £100 more than the guy said that he'd accept. We were both happy with the outcome.

I got some stuff for Sale. Please contact me immediately.

agreed

i don't know if have Craigslist over there in the UK (or an equivalent), but the low ballers are maddening. I put up my asking price and didn't say "negotiable". Without fail, every person low balls. One guy drove from Massachusetts to my home in Maryland....an 8 hour drive!...and then said "hey I drove all this way, will you do it for x amount of dollars less?"

and what was your reply and his response

The only time I've paid over the asking has been when buying charity-fundraiser stuff online.

The first rule of capitalism is that A Thing is worth what someone will pay for it.

Not what You want. Not what it cost You to buy. Not what it cost to make... &c.

Consequently, people getting butthurt/self-righteous about haggling just baffles me: all you have to do is say "no" - how hard is that?

And I'd bet cash-money most of those complaining about haggling love a 'bargain' themselves...

Of course an intelligent person builds a bit of haggle factor into the asking price in the first place... ;-)

I did once for a car, a Mk1 Golf GTI. The recently widowed owner had no clue of its value and was practically giving it away. She was hardly well off, visually anyway, so I explained it was worth much more than she was asking, but more than I could afford/ I advised her to advertise it at a set price. She sold me the car anyway, for a little more than she was originally asking, and we were both happy and full of good karma.

When stuff is a good and fair price, I try not to haggle. I've had someone recently on here trying everything he could to get a fiver off, thankfully it all sold to other buyers on here who didn't haggle. It seemed that that getting money off was basically the fuel for his purchase.

I usually sell at a fair price, people aren't stupid and I don't want stuff hanging around. If you don't get any response it's usually the price same when I've sold a house.
If you get a big response it's a indication you may have pitched too low.

I hate haggling. Even though I’m only a quarter English the idea makes my toes curl. If buying I’ll either pay the asking price or not bother and I prefer to give stuff away rather than wonder what a ‘fair price’ might be.

Years ago I bought a pair of five-star Wharfdale speakers which I hated! Put them up for sale about a month after buying them at a good price. Guy came in and spent ages scratching his beard, wanted to hear every kind of music and looking over every inch of the speakers, clearly looking for something to complain about. But they were as new, not a mark. After wasting my time he made a low offer and I told him they were already a bargain and he should go and check the list price. This was pre-internet. He left.

Next day a guy arrived at the door, handed me the cash and left with the box. Literally half an hour later the first guy phoned back and you have no idea how satisfying it was telling him the speakers were sold! Sometimes the simple pleasures are the best :0)

I generally buy second hand. Usually through EBay. Invariably prices are on the high side so I look for ‘Make an offer’ and offer what I believe is the more realistic price. We generally meet in the middle. I’ve made some good deals.

Many sellers don’t seem to understand the mechanics of make a offer, they’ll list items for £35 with Make A Offer, you send a offer of £30 and get no, £32 still no, £33 and still no!
I now avoid selling and buying if at all possible on eBay, lost a few orders from buyers diverting their orders to postal services, kept proof of postage and still had to refund, I’m sure the orders were scams.

I don’t like haggling in general but I look at the pricing and go to round the numbers up unless I really want or need the item in question.

I don’t send a offer if the item is “no offer please”, seems simple enough but there’s always a few.

I hate haggling. Even though I’m only a quarter English the idea makes my toes curl. If buying I’ll either pay the asking price or not bother and I prefer to give stuff away rather than wonder what a ‘fair price’ might be.
Haggling has been practised in many parts of the world for eons. I haggle if the price is over pitched. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn’t make my toes curl.

I bought an amplifier* locally on ebay, for 50p. The seller didn't want the asking price, but ebay won't allow give-aways. Technically it WAS the asking price, but he didn't ask for it.
*Tangent AMP 50. Good little amp as a back up, or for speaker testing.

advertisement

Back