advertisement

Auralic Altair G1/Melco D100 and Plixir PSU issue

Nye Samuel

Herr Katze
Hi..The Auralic works fine as a streamer but with CD there is a problem.

In theory I can connect the Melco D100 to the HDD input of the Altair G1 and I can both rip the CD onto the SSD hard drive I installed into the Altair G1 or play the CD and effectively using the Melco D100 as a CD transport.

I have not used the Melco much...as I am having fun streaming music...but I used it yesterday and the CD whirred...but no music...I tried another CD and it played...another failed...another played...so about 50% success rate...not good.

I swapped out the USB cable and Melco D100...and no difference...I used a different caddy into the Auralic and got the same result...the same CDs played and did not play....I then hooked up the Melco D100 to an Apple laptop and all the CDs played...so nothing wrong with the Melco D100 or the CDs.

The Melco is powered by a Plixir 1A PSU...which was on the advice of the company that sold me the Melco D100 (it is used with 6 months guarantee)... according to the Auralic Altair G1 manual...it recommends the use of Melco D100 with the Altair G1 but clearly states that the PSU used must be able to provide 1.5A (the Melco D100 wallwart produces 1.4A. I did question if 1A would be sufficient and was repeated told that it would be...is that correct?

My question....is the PSU the problem or something else? Any advice would be appreciated.

The back panel of the D100 suggests that a 3A PSU is required.

You are 100% correct...I was advised on my PSU by a Melco dealer and the supplier/distributor in the UK of Plixir which in some countries one outfit distribute both Melco and Plixir.

Would a 1A PSU account for the problem I am having with some but not all CDs?

Looks like shoule be at least 2A to me, see the below article

https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/plixir-perfect-power-debuts-in-the-uk

Starting on November the 1st, ADMM will be offering a select range of PLiXiR power conditioners. There will also be several standalone DC power supplies to upgrade the performance of Melco Audio digital music libraries and accessories with external universal power supplies.​

Although some of Melco Audio’s devices use a good-quality external universal power supply, many audiophiles understand the improvements gained by upgrading to external linear power supplies. Melco Audio users can immediately take advantage of the following PLiXiR power supplies:​

• Elite BDC 2A (for N100, E100, D100, S100)
  • Elite BDC 4A (for N100 in addition to D100, E100 or S100)
  • Elite Melco Stack (for N100 plus D100, E100 and S100)
  • Elite BAC 1500 AC mains conditioner (for any of Melco Audio’s N1 Series which have internal power supplies.

The USB socket on the Altair G1 can provide 1A, which is not enough to run a portable CD/DVD ROM drive, which typically draw about 1.5A. That is why you need a drive with its own power supply. The D100 is rated at 3A so clearly a 1A supply is not going to cut it.

My guess is that using a more appropriate power supply will solve the problems, but I cannot be sure at this distance.

You are 100% correct...I was advised on my PSU by a Melco dealer and the supplier/distributor in the UK of Plixir which in some countries one outfit distribute both Melco and Plixir.

Would a 1A PSU account for the problem I am having with some but not all CDs?
Same problem occurs with the Altair if you use the wall wart psu or does the D100 work OK then?

The USB socket on the Altair G1 can provide 1A, which is not enough to run a portable CD/DVD ROM drive, which typically draw about 1.5A. That is why you need a drive with its own power supply. The D100 is rated at 3A so clearly a 1A supply is not going to cut it.

My guess is that using a more appropriate power supply will solve the problems, but I cannot be sure at this distance.

The point I made to the man I bought the Melco and Plixir 1A PSU from ..but why won't the wallwart do it...12V/4A?

If you have a USB Hub that has a power supply you can try that inbetween the Altair and D100 as a troubleshooting step, trying to work out if you Altair has a problem.

If you have a USB Hub that has a power supply you can try that inbetween the Altair and D100 as a troubleshooting step, trying to work out if you Altair has a problem.

Do difference with the wallwart..turned for a few minutes...removed the power cable.

Ok...I might be able to rig some something with 2A but not sure if it will prove 12V.

The problem is intermittent...some CDs are played but not others...I would have thought that if there was a problem with the Altair...no CDs would play??

The USB hub that I have is 5V and I used that with a simpler cd caddy...again the same CDs played and the same CDs did not play.

Do difference with the wallwart..turned for a few minutes...removed the power cable.

Ok...I might be able to rig some something with 2A but not sure if it will prove 12V.

The problem is intermittent...some CDs are played but not others...I would have thought that if there was a problem with the Altair...no CDs would play??
Dunno, we get intermittent problems with IT kit so quite possible it’s a bug or slight fault, very frustrating, far easier if things just fail totally. If you used a powered USB Hub and the Auralic still won’t play those CD’s I’d be inclined to have it looked at by the dealer who will probaly have another to compare it with and more CD Drives, hopefully another D100 available. Do you have another CD/DVD Drive or can you borrow one?

The USB hub that I have is 5V and I used that with a simpler cd caddy...again the same CDs played and the same CDs did not play.
In that case it looks like the Altair has a problem. Same CD’s not playing via 2 CD Drives sounds like a bug or USB hardware fault. I’d be contacting the place you bought the Altair from or Auralic direct.

In that case it looks like the Altair has a problem. Same CD’s not playing via 2 CD Drives sounds like a bug or USB hardware fault. I’d be contacting the place you bought the Altair from or Auralic direct.

Thanks for all your help and advice...I will do that tomorrow...I don't have an alternative cd player...but I have my FM radio and a TT...to keep me going.

I will include two of the CDs that I cannot play via either cd drive with the returned Altair.

Who would normally play for the postage of the Altair to the dealer and its return to me? Me or the dealer??

advertisement

Back