advertisement

Where to start with Tannoys ?

I'm feeling very lucky as a kind PFM member has offered me some a little time to hear his pair of 15" Tannoys on Friday.
So, in the hope that the good luck continues I'm going to post a thread on the wanted section for a pair of 12" drivers, ideally in a good state, possibly in rough cabinets that I can refurbish or replace - I may also be pestering one or two of the local experts..
So, let me know if you know of anything that may be for sale soon..
Can't let @Gaius have all the fun!

I'm feeling very lucky as a kind PFM member has offered me some a little time to hear his pair of 15" Tannoys on Friday.
So, in the hope that the good luck continues I'm going to post a thread on the wanted section for a pair of 12" drivers, ideally in a good state, possibly in rough cabinets that I can refurbish or replace - I may also be pestering one or two of the local experts..
So, let me know if you know of anything that may be for sale soon..
Can't let @Gaius have all the fun!

Apologies for chucking a classified post in - but if you are interested I have a pair of unusual cabs for 12” HPDs up in the classifieds. Maybe too wide for you, but they do look fabulous. They were from an aborted second system project.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/stone-cabinets-for-tannoy-hpd315.259625/#post-4498607

Sorry to jump in on a thread a fellow fishie suggested i8 a cheap way into dc ownership are these worth it I know they are meant to work with a sub can a crossover change get them to deliver lower bass or is the construction totally different. What I mean is could the drivers be rebuilt in better cabinet or no fixing them

Sorry to jump in on a thread a fellow fishie suggested i8 a cheap way into dc ownership are these worth it I know they are meant to work with a sub can a crossover change get them to deliver lower bass or is the construction totally different. What I mean is could the drivers be rebuilt in better cabinet or no fixing them
The i8/v8 are designed for compact enclosures, the limits/ benefits/ managed expectations for larger boxes are discussed here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/356717-gone-wrong-drivers.html

Hi, i have a pair of tannoy 3lz 10 inch gold in original cabinets to try, lot of people knock these as being bright
and not as good sounding as other vintage tannoys, any opinions please, i am using rogers export monitors
at the moment, regards, peter

Hi,
I've been enjoying mine since 2006, first with a Tandberg 3002&3003 pre and power amplifier combination.

Now I've got an Audio Innovations Series 500 valve amplifier and now my sources are sorted; a specially commissioned Thorens TD 150 Mk2 TT and an Audiolab M-DAC+; the brightness has been toned down somewhat.

Lots of detail revealed. A couple of friends in bands use my system to test pressings and new music of theirs before release.

I don't plan to get rid any time soon. Although I'm tempted by 12" versions! :cool:

So they are fundamentally different I mean no way they can be rebuilt or are they physically different IE basket, cones and magnets etc all different. Excuse my ignorance I don't know tannoy well enough.
I wrongly assume it was just the crossover and enclosures that set them apart?
Are any cheaper DC units suitable for use in better cabinets or better crossovers? It simply only the silky money classic stuff that cab deliver effortless bass

So they are fundamentally different I mean no way they can be rebuilt or are they physically different IE basket, cones and magnets etc all different. Excuse my ignorance I don't know tannoy well enough.
I wrongly assume it was just the crossover and enclosures that set them apart?
Are any cheaper DC units suitable for use in better cabinets or better crossovers? It simply only the silky money classic stuff that cab deliver effortless bass
Different from what?
The classic stuff is mostly reasonable money for exceptional speakers.
The i8's are very good but reach down to 70 hz so if the lowest octave is important to you use a sub- I do and they sound fantastic.bear in mind the i8 s were very expensive bought new.

I meant are the driver fundamentally different in construction to either the older classic stuff or the later domestic units?
With respect google is your friend as are the numerous Tannoy sites where you'll find heaps of info, just search 'Tannoy dual concentric' the i8 is a dual magnet, cellulose coned with titanium HF diaphragm on a tulip waveguide.if were you I'd try some Saturns, 8 inch tulip waveguide with reasonable bass extension.

I've not heard any Tannoys, at least not in the last 50 years, and there is an itch.. My father had a pair when I was a kid and they were in part responsible for me getting into listening to music.
My wife wouldn't like anything wide like a lot of the old Tannoys seem to be, but a quick read seems to say that the cabinets don't need to be wide as long as internal volume is kept within certain limits.
I will be having another operation in a month or so, so a project such as building some cabinets would be good.
So, just where do I start looking for information on cabinet dimensions and where do I look for drivers ?
I guess a 12" driver is about as big as I could go, and for what it's worth at this stage my sitting room is about 4.5 x 5 x 2.5m.
Thanks for any help - this may come to nothing, but it's been nagging at me for a few years, and this might be the ideal time..

Hi You should pop into us at Lockwood and have demo We are just doing some fine weeks to our Lockwood Berkley and Lockwood Cheviot the are sounding and looking fantastic

Tannoy Lancaster
Here are my initial thoughts after three listening sessions with a variety of music.

Context:

Source is a fairly high end LP12 with Syrinx PU3/Kiseki Purple Heart MC cart.

Phono stage is Silvercore SUT int EAR Yoshino 834P MM .

Amplification is Sugden A21a integrated.

I have had many prior speakers of with the Linn Kan remains my favourite. Here are some of the others.

Yamaha NS 1000M
Celestion Ditton 66
Quad ELS 57
Quad ELS 63
Klipsch Forte

ProAc Response 1SC
Revel M22
Focal 1008be
KEF LS50

Linn Kan MKI (&II)
Linn Sara
Naim SBL (active and passive Mk I &II)
Naim IBL
Epos ES14
Shahinian Arc

Review:

My first time with BIG Tannoys, these were an exceptional find and whilst expensive I think they are a safe investment but unlikely I will part with them.

They seem to have more detail in the sense I am hearing subtle nuances I have not noticed before but this is not bright spotlit detail, it is just more information within the performance as a whole.

They have weight, scale and authority in abundance which is not surprising for a 15” driver but they are not slow, or bloated. They are surprisingly fast and agile; they time exteemly well and give a natural and believable rendition.

They give a real sense of the performance/music and have a live feel. They are not a ‘HiFi’ speaker trying to impress, they just play music very well and simply leave you wondering what to play next.

They are quite special.

2021-10-22 21.53.57 by Mark Digman, on Flickr

Fantastic Mark.
Your final paragraph echoes exactly what I felt when I heard some 15" Tannoys a few days ago. It only took a few seconds to get the ease of the sound and a few more to say 'unimpressive' - they just play music, and despite not knowing almost any of the tunes (or even the genre) were such a pleasure to listen to.
Thank you to the fishie who invited me into his house.
Now I just need to find some..

OK, this is not meant to be a dumb question but....
I've now heard a pair of 15" monitor gold (I think) drivers. How much difference is there between them and 12" HPD in basic sound?
I know that it'll depend on cabinets etc, but given that I'm looking on ebay I'm unlikely to be able to hear whatever I may end up buying so I'm just hoping that someone will be able to give me a vague idea.

advertisement

Back